Craftsman Tractor won't run

Mi hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post for a newbie.... I have a 2007 Craftsman DLS 3500 lawn tractor that will not stay running for longer than 1 minute. In order to even get the tractor to start I have to remove the air cleaner housing and cover the air intake with my hand. This will get the mower to start but it will eventually stall after 30 seconds to a minute. I have removed the carb and cleaned it out (which was spotless) I changed the spark plug and replaced the fuel and air filter. I have also removed the gas from the tank and replaced with fresh gas. Still I cannot get this mower to run..... HELP!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Keith

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Keith and WELCOME to LMF....

Just a little curious... when did this happen, did you replace and or clean things before or after you started having problems with it running?

You clearly have a fuel delivery problem, first thing I would try is remove the (new) fuel filter and replace it with a short piece of fuel line, then see if it will run... :smile:KennyV

Mi hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny

No it just happened when I started to cut the lawn one afternoon, I didn't clean or even add gas to the lawn mower that is what is so odd.. I will try to bypass the fuel filter and run directly to the carb but I have pulled the line into the carb and I do have a steady flow of fuel into the carb.

Keith

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like the float needle valve is sticking closed or float adjustment is way off.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Keith...
If you have a steady flow of fuel to the carb...
I,m with reynoldston... the Only thing left that could restrict the fuel flow in the carb is the float or the needle valve that it operates... :smile:KennyV

Mi hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks I did not have time yesterday to R&R the carb again but will do so in the next few days and see if that helps, where is the best place via the internet to get a rebuild kit? My card does have the main jet that is powered when the key is turned on, could this be the issue?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok thanks I did not have time yesterday to R&R the carb again but will do so in the next few days and see if that helps, where is the best place via the internet to get a rebuild kit? My card does have the main jet that is powered when the key is turned on, could this be the issue?

Get all numbers off the engine and try NAPA for a carburetor kit. My card does have main Jet. I am guessing you are talking about the anti dieseling solenoid, Yes you need power to this solenoid and it has to open iin order to run and this could be your problem.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
I hate antifire solenoids - i have like 4 briggs motors with them and had trouble with all of them till i ' bypassed ' the solenoid by snipping the metal pin off and reinstalling them . I run manual shut off valves and have no need for the solenoids - i shut the valve off, run the carb out of gas ( so it wont drain into the motor) and park it.

The last one was a 2003 murray with a 16.5HP briggs OHV motor- thing barely ran, ran rough and refused to shut off ( dieseled) - modifed the solenoid and it became a good running machine and shut off with the key , like its supposed to.

You can try and free them up with carb cleaner or replace them at around $20( or so ) each - i did the free method.

Mi hunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so it looks like the Anti Dieseling Solonoid is working, I turn the key on with the solonoid in my hand and the solonoid closes, with the key off the solonoid opens to resrict fuel into the carb, this is the correct way it should work from what I can understand.
I thouroughly cleaned the carb and by bi-passed the fuel filter and still have the same problem, mower will start run for a few minutes and die, the only way to restart is to hold my hand over the air intake.
I don't understand why.... I know with the experience I have that the problem is fuel related but i have done all the steps... starting to get frustrated!!!! :confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so it looks like the Anti Dieseling Solonoid is working, I turn the key on with the solonoid in my hand and the solonoid closes, with the key off the solonoid opens to resrict fuel into the carb, this is the correct way it should work from what I can understand.
I thouroughly cleaned the carb and by bi-passed the fuel filter and still have the same problem, mower will start run for a few minutes and die, the only way to restart is to hold my hand over the air intake.
I don't understand why.... I know with the experience I have that the problem is fuel related but i have done all the steps... starting to get frustrated!!!! :confused2:

Just what do you mean by thoroughly cleaned? soaked in a cleaner over night? blow out all jets. I don't see where you replaced the float needle valve. This will stick closed some times with age. I also don't see where you adjusted the float level. If you have done these things I think you should just recheck things because you might of missed something. I know as for myself I have taken a carburetor apart more then once because I missed something. What about the gas line and tank are you getting a good flow gas to the carburetor inlet? As far as fuel goes there isn't much more. Fuel filters are cheap don't bypass it replace it.