Mulching MTD Yard Machines RL 638

sslouch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just installed a mulch kit that involved removing the pto cable from the mower deck while removing the deck. After reattachment the mower will not start and the engine is not getting a spark when it turns over. Any ideas?

Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
HELLO & WELCOME to LMF...

Check that your PTO switch is in the OFF position...
I can not picture how the PTO cable would need to be removed to attach the mulch kit... but be sure that it is properly installed... there is an interlock on the PTO to prevent starting with the PTO engaged... :smile:KennyV

sslouch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your response. I had to remove the pto cable (the spring end) from the deck so that i could remove the deck from the tractor. The deck had to be removed in order to install a skirt around the bottom of the deck. The other end of the cable is attached to the end of the pto handle under the seat. There is a switch there but it is in no way attached to the pto cable. It is simply depressed by the end of pto handle. The switch seems to work fine. Engine will turn over when switch is depressed (blades not engaged) but will not turn over if switch is not depressed or connector is unplugged. It turns over fine just doesn't seem to get a spark anymore. Spark plug wet when pulled to check spark so it is getting plenty of gas.