Oil Leak

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
....Any way to check to make sure that is what needs to be replaced? ... Is this doable for an enigine novice?
Ryan

Hello Ryan & WELCOME to LMF...

It most likely is the seal at the crank... BUT it could be a drain plug came out... wont hurt to look...
Clean it up under the deck (Use spray brake cleaner) then dump a pint or so engine oil into the engine and let it set for a bit and look what has oil on it... that will be where the leak is at...
Shaft seal is not hard to replace, getting it out is going to be the biggest challenge.. Pay attention to the direction it comes out, don't put the new one in upside down... Easy to do & if the mower otherwise is working ... it's always better to repair than replace especially when the repair will only cost a couple $... :smile:KennyV

flyerdan

Threads
It might seem obvious but should be stated - make sure to clean off the rust and baked on grass residue from the exposed part of the crankshaft that the new seal has to slide over. Doesn't do any good to replace it if the new one goes over the equivalent of a round file. A wooden handled wire brush from a hardware store will do it, although lazy people like me will use a radial brush on an angle grinder and then burnish it with a 2" scotchbrite.

benski

Threads
It might seem obvious but should be stated - make sure to clean off the rust and baked on grass residue from the exposed part of the crankshaft that the new seal has to slide over. Doesn't do any good to replace it if the new one goes over the equivalent of a round file. A wooden handled wire brush from a hardware store will do it, although lazy people like me will use a radial brush on an angle grinder and then burnish it with a 2" scotchbrite.
Lube up your freshly cleaned crank with some motor oil as you slide the new seal on, as well.:smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
All good avice, but don't get carred away with a radal brush on a angle grinder unless you know what you are doing because you can do more harm then good real fast. Best thing is just clean with fine sandpaper where the seal rides.

rmonge00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great advice! I am going to give it a try sometime this winter.... I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing, so even if it doesn't work it should be a good learning experience... To give you guys an idea of my incompetence - I don't even know where the oil plug is!! I will look to see if that came off before I get the seal.

So, it is ok to turn the mower upside down while I do this??? Anywhere to get a good diagram and instructions for what I am dealing with?

I really appreciate the help! You guys are great!

Ryan

benski

Threads
Great advice! I am going to give it a try sometime this winter.... I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing, so even if it doesn't work it should be a good learning experience... To give you guys an idea of my incompetence - I don't even know where the oil plug is!! I will look to see if that came off before I get the seal.

So, it is ok to turn the mower upside down while I do this??? Anywhere to get a good diagram and instructions for what I am dealing with?

I really appreciate the help! You guys are great!

Ryan
Disconnect your spark plug lead, catch the fuel that will drizzle out of your fuel tank, (or empty it in advance) turn it onto its side and have a good look under your mower. Blocking it in place may help. Some mowers aren't equipped with drain plugs, so don't be too dismayed not to see one. You might find one under the mower, or you might find one on the side of the engine, down low. For diagrams, maybe the manufacturer's website?.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ryan ...
There is no need to turn it upside down just to look.... but you can turn it on it's side... Carburetor to the Up side... The oil drain plug could be, under the deck or on the side of the engine above the deck... while you have it turned on it's side... spray some break clean on the crankshaft and the bottom of the engine... that will clean any old oil from possible leak points... then add a little oil and let it set for a while, turn on it's side again and look for fresh oil ... that will be the problem area... :smile:KennyV

Mower manic

Threads
Your cousin probably hit an immoveable object with the irresistible force of your mower blade.
Consequently, you have an oil leak and I'm guessing you may have problems you haven't discovered yet, such as: a bent crank shaft, a sheared flywheel key, a bent blade, and damage to anything that connects the blade to the shaft.
Everything but the crank shaft is relatively easy to fix but a waste of time if the crankshaft is bent. A bent crank makes your mower a yard gnome.
If it were mine I would do a full evaluation before I purchased any parts. A big part of the evaluation would be an interrogation of the culpable suspect......The cousin, or possibly "the villain" in this case.
Do you know of anything he may have hit with the mower? Did the mower run after he finished using it? Perhaps you could follow the cut grass to where it stops....at the concrete block, or 2" steel pipe. How about the remnant 4x4 fence post that was left behind?
Might not be a big deal but check everything before you make a big investment of time an money.