Antique reel mowers

Fireman 123

Threads
Anyone here have any luck restoring and re selling antique reel mowers? I'd like to give it a try on one or two, only if there's any $ to be made though.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most folks I know that are into 'antique' anything are so into them that They do any restoration needed...

Almost any 'good' mower shop would be able to repair any reel mower... I doubt that there will ever be a need large enough that someone could actually restrict a mower shop to restorations of 'antique' reel mowers... :smile:KennyV

Fireman 123

Threads
KennyV said:
Most folks I know that are into 'antique' anything are so into them that They do any restoration needed...

Almost any 'good' mower shop would be able to repair any reel mower... I doubt that there will ever be a need large enough that someone could actually restrict a mower shop to restorations of 'antique' reel mowers... :smile:KennyV

You bring up a good point of the buyer wanting to do the restoration themselves. I thought it might be a good cold weather project since I'm no mower shop owner, or employee :)

LandN

Threads
Anyone here have any luck restoring and re selling antique reel mowers? I'd like to give it a try on one or two, only if there's any $ to be made though.

If you have a desire and a passion for trying to rehab antique/older reel mowers,then by all means try it and see what happens with a couple mowers. a lot of people don't have the mechanical ability to spin wrenchs but would still like to own a piece of nastalgia,and those people plus others will buy what they want. look at the success of the new mustang/camaro/challenger/vw beetle cars that were very close to their original versions,for the people who want to own a piece of yesterday.

Murry Furry

Threads

it all depends on where you live, and your intentions.

i'll endress location first. if you live were i did till resently, you could make a nice profit, but i lived in hamilton, il where we hosted a old threashers event every year for three days. but if you live in a less rural area, with low numbers of mower collectors, then it's alot harder.

if you mean make anything to count as income, i would say not very likely, and that's if you were to live in hamilton, but if you meant just to make money while doing other things, then i'd say very much so.

Murry Furry

Threads

i would agree with you, but what about the all might reel. i wouldn't know how to sharpen, or repair a reel, and i'm known for coming up with a way, be it redneck to the max.

i mean think how much stuff you hit with your normal mower, then take in that the reel probly won't be as strong a the blades of your mower. i could see how it could be a challenge.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
i would agree with you, but what about the all might reel. i wouldn't know how to sharpen, or repair a reel, and i'm known for coming up with a way, be it redneck to the max.

HELLO again... Murry Furry, it's good to see you Back...

Actually reels are not too difficult to maintain.... They are just limited to short grass mowing... :smile:KennyV

Murry Furry

Threads
HELLO again... Murry Furry, it's good to see you Back...

Actually reels are not too difficult to maintain.... They are just limited to short grass mowing... :smile:KennyV

then maybe it wouldn't be as profitable as i thought as a side project, but it would be fun.:laughing:

benski

Threads
then maybe it wouldn't be as profitable as i thought as a side project, but it would be fun.:laughing:

I'll agree with that!:wink: I've got a Jacobsen Park 30 (1954 vintage) on the bench right now. I bought it for a whole $30.00, and I doubt if the thing's going to be worth more than $150.00 after I put 25 hrs of my time, plus parts into it. But, I bought it because it's a big old heavy monster that I happen to like, and not necessarily because it makes good economic sense. The tradition continues, I guess.:ashamed::biggrin::wink:

Mini Motors

Threads
I would guess that there would be little money in this type of venture. Most people interested in old mowers would be able to restore one themselves. It's not like old cars, where those who are into them don't necessarily know how to work on them. Mowers? Most people think of them as a tool for a nasty, hard chore. Only sick individuals (us) can really appreciate old mowers. And I can't see spending money on one that someone else had the fun of restoring.