Briggs 18 OHV Ryder

Butch1957

Threads
I have a Poulan Ryder ( single ) OHV 18hp Briggs that will not fire. I cleaned the coil and flywheel along with setting the air gap to specs. I have disconnected the kill wire to the coil and still no fire. This unit is about 10yrs old. New battery and new plug. Just not firing. Fuse is new.

Is there something that I am not understanding here ?

Please help.

Thanks.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

I believe this is a magneto system, you say it has a 'new fuse'... ? What fuse is it?
If you apply 12 volts to the magneto it will destroy it... :smile:KennyV

Butch1957

Threads
The fuse is the fuse in the wiring ( flat yellow 20amp fuse that is close to the solenoid ). If by disconnecting the kill / ground wire on the coil, would this also eliminate any possible Safety Switches failure ? Or in other words, does disconnecting the ground / kill wire on the magneto definetly tells me the coil is bad if there is not spark ?

Just confused about all this stuff.

Help.

Thanks for any input !

Briggs92

Threads
If you disconnect the ground from the coil then that eliminates the kill switch. So if you don't have spark with the ground unplugged, then the coil is bad. If you do then you have a short somewhere in the ground wire or the switch is bad. Sometimes a film of rust on the flywheel magnets will effect the spark so clean it up. Also be sure the gapping between the coil and the magnets are .010 or a business card!

Butch1957

Threads
Thanks You Guys A BUNCH ! ! !

I Really Appreciate All Of The Input / Comments.