Mower won't start Ranch King Briggs & Straton engine 14.5 hp

jplaugher1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower won't start Ranch King Briggs & Straton engine 14.5 hp
I try to start the mower, just get clicking noise. I replace battery, solenoid, If I jump the mower with my car it starts. If I remove starter and test it by grounding and leaving hot wire connect, the starter does run when it's not trying to turn the crank of the engine. Should I replace the starter or all the wiring from the battery to the starter? any help would be appreciated. I can get lawn mowed if I jump with the car or attach my battery charger.
Thanks,
Jim

Shedmechanic

Threads
How new is the battery? Sounds like the mower isn't charging the battery and the battery is losing its charge maybe? I would check the battery with multimeter as next step and also check battery while engine is running to make sure it is maintaining its charge. Good luck.

Last edited:

Briggs92

Threads
Are the battery cables corroded up the wire?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Jim & WELCOME to LMF...

Your battery is either unable to deliver enough current to start it (bad cell or bad battery) OR the battery is not fully charged...
OR...
You have a bad cable end at the battery or the other end of either battery cable...
Since it will work when given another source of power, the starter is good.. :smile:KennyV

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
give your battery a good 12hr charge ....then get it load tested to be sure its up to par:thumbsup: