No spark

joercrawford

Forum Newbie
Threads
They haven't used points in small engines since 1981. It's an electronic ignition coil. The only way to check the coil is to unplug the ground wire from the coil. This isolates the coil from anything else (Kill switch). Now just test the spark like you normally would. You can check spark with one person by removing the cover and recoil so the flywheel is exposed. Next you can take a drill with a socket that fits the flywheel nut and turn the engine over that way. Make sure you have something holding the bail lever down so you remove the brake from the flywheel. Also make sure the gapping is right. It should be at .010 or a business card works too!

Ok, I checked for spark, had none so I unplugged the ground wire and checked and I had a spark. Put it back together and had no spark. Is my coil bad?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, it means your kill wire is shorted to ground. Find where it is frayed, pinched, or rubbed bare. This condition is not allowing the coil to work properly. Repair and you. Should be good to go.

joercrawford

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, it means your kill wire is shorted to ground. Find where it is frayed, pinched, or rubbed bare. This condition is not allowing the coil to work properly. Repair and you. Should be good to go.

Thanks you ole retired grease monkey instructor that took care of it!!