John Deere fuel filter issue

Coxster

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new here...found the site trying to solve a fuel filter issue I have with my JD yard tractor. All help is certainly appreciated.

I have a JDSTX38 hydro. Had it serviced last week...new blades, oil change, fuel line leak fixed. They also replaced the filter with one that has a clear "bulb" and a bright yellow filter. When mowing yesterday, the engine, after running like a charm for 10-15 minutes, would all of a sudden start a chug-a-lug sound, then cut off. I turned off the fuel line, disconnected it at the fuel filter, then opened the line for gas to go in the bulb. After doing that a time or two until the bulb was real close to full, the tractor start again. It would run 10-15 minutes, then I'd have to go through the ordeal again. Any ideas?

Mark1

Threads
Try loosening the gas cap and see if it is better?may not be venting enough. Most gas filters do not show that they are full anyhow.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

There are also some inline filters that are not very free flowing... unless they have fuel pushed with a good fuel pump they will not keep up with fuel flow...
some have such a small filtering capacity that very little fuel flow will plug them up, if there is anything in the fuel that needs to be filtered out.
Try no filter for a bit and see if the problem goes away.. if it keeps running, look for a free flowing gravity feed filter....:smile:KennyV

Briggs92

Threads
The paper filters have to go in the line a certain way. There should be an arrow on the filter to show the fuel flow if not then the cap o the filter should go towards the pump

Coxster

Forum Newbie
Threads
The paper filters have to go in the line a certain way. There should be an arrow on the filter to show the fuel flow if not then the cap o the filter should go towards the pump

I think I checked that but will do it again. I tell you what, this is somekind of frustrating! I do apprecaite the suggestions.

redfish9

Threads
Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me,it might be pumping but not enough

Coxster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me,it might be pumping but not enough

Thanks for the response. I took it to a local guy who works on mowers and he cleaned out the fuel system and things are working fine...now, if I could just get my wife to mow...