Do you cover your vehicle ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
In winter ?

I've thought of covering our car this winter so when we need to go out I can just pull the cover off and the car will be 100% snow free, but the fact they are about £25/$50 kind of puts me off.

I usually just leave the car uncovered, and when we need to go out, I fire it up and let it warm up on idle while I get most of the snow off with a soft brush and spray de-icer on the windscreen.

Hmm... I'm not sure... What do you do ?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
In winter ?

I've thought of covering our car this winter so when we need to go out I can just pull the cover off and the car will be 100% snow free, but the fact they are about 」25/$50 kind of puts me off.

I usually just leave the car uncovered, and when we need to go out, I fire it up and let it warm up on idle while I get most of the snow off with a soft brush and spray de-icer on the windscreen.

Hmm... I'm not sure... What do you do ?

Few people here use a cover, because it's a huge PIB to get them on and off especially getting them off with a foot of snow atop them. My favorite method for removing dry snow from a car is to use a powerful electric leaf blower. For wifes car which sits outside (while mine are garaged) I use a large section of thick cardboard over the "windscreen" and held into place with the wipers, that keeps frost off, HOWEVER this method can also make the cardboard freeze to the windshield sometimes.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Few people here use a cover, because it's a huge PIB to get them on and off especially getting them off with a foot of snow atop them. My favorite method for removing dry snow from a car is to use a powerful electric leaf blower. For wifes car which sits outside (while mine are garaged) I use a large section of thick cardboard over the "windscreen" and held into place with the wipers, that keeps frost off, HOWEVER this method can also make the cardboard freeze to the windshield sometimes.
Yeah, getting the cover off would be a bit time consuming, and getting it to stay on would be a task too, as Scotland is prone to very bad winds, especially in winter.

Looks like the Ford will be uncovered again this year :laughing:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, getting the cover off would be a bit time consuming, and getting it to stay on would be a task too, as Scotland is prone to very bad winds, especially in winter.

Looks like the Ford will be uncovered again this year :laughing:

Most covers I have seen stiffen badly in the cold and it would be a huge PIB to refold them after removal. If you dont care about abrading the paint (yes, YOU will) you could always use a plastic tarp and anchor the corners down.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
I used to use plastic or a tarp over the windshield - specially on days where freezing rain was predicted - id make sure it went up on the roof , under the wipers and held it on by tucking it in the doors - other times i just fired the truck up and did the snow brush thing...... dont have to worry about that here now tho, altho sometimes theres frost on the windows.....

LandN

Threads
if you cover a vehicle over night then it would make sense to also cover it up while at WORK for 8,10,12 hrs a day,or if your at the store for a few hrs. even driving down the road while nasty weather is happening will hinder visibility and the visibility of the headlights/tailights :biggrin:

Black Bart

Threads
This thread makes me appreciate my heated garage more. :smile:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
This thread makes me appreciate my heated garage more. :smile:
Damn you! :laughing:

I actually do have a garage, but our other car is in there at the moment as a non runner, so I can't get the Ford in there... :mad:

Threads
Carport it helps with the weather pretty good... its 20'x 22' it helps keep the sun, snow, etc off the vehicles.