Tighter turns

Craftsman13

Threads
Does anyone know how to make a lawn tractor make tighter turns??

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Changing the steering geometry is going to be tough on any mower... also steering assist brakes are normally not found on lawnmowers... so I do not think you are likely to find a practical method to improve the turning radius... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I agree with Kenny, just leave it, it will be more trouble than it is worth.

mullins87

Threads
At best you can shorten the steering stops on either the axle or steering knuckles. However, I'd bet the front tires will hit something if you try to turn them any farther.

JimmyTheGlove

Threads
Guys down at Colorland told me to not even go there. I watch other guys on their mowers and it seems like they are always making such crazy tight turns compared to what I do. But I think it's mostly just over speculation. It feels different than it looks, I think. :2cents:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone know how to make a lawn tractor make tighter turns??

If you want to make tighter turns try doing what I tell turdfaces to do, stop, shift to neutral, disengage the mower pto, turn wheels in the desired direction, then get off your mower, pick up the back of your machine and swivel it around to make your turning circle tighter.

Easy, wasn't it????

demhustler

Threads
If you want to make tighter turns try doing what I tell turdfaces to do, stop, shift to neutral, disengage the mower pto, turn wheels in the desired direction, then get off your mower, pick up the back of your machine and swivel it around to make your turning circle tighter.

Easy, wasn't it????
:laughing:
:thumbsup:
so, all of your mowers have zero turn feature....

demhustler

Threads
for pivot turn your inner front wheel should go to 90 degrees
for zero turn - farether (cub cadet ztt) - and it usualy requires hydroranny for each rear wheel like on ztr mowers
Gravely garden tractor makes pivot turns (or near) - using breaks independently for each rear wheel

Attachments

• cc%20mtd_allrounder_under.jpg
    cc%20mtd_allrounder_under.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 28

ybelikeu

Forum Newbie
Threads
my lawnmower now has a tighter turn due to a repair that was made. i was pulling my mower with another mower I ripped the left front wheel out of the axle. See operation double decker for pictures. After the repair my mower had a turning radius that would circle a five gallon bucket. This is only when turning left. Eveything i gained tuning left i lost turning right. In other words it now turns super wide on right turns.The tire rubs the steering rod when turning right. I think that the axle is actually bent back towards the sterring rod, this makes it turn sharper left. I will try to take pictures of this later.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Demhustler - my old 92 white would do that , the steering stops had bent down some and it allowed the one tire to fold back like that - folded back too far tho..... a hammer fixed the issue- bent the stops back to its proper position.

Besides a Zturn, my 4 wheel steering MTD makes some pretty tight turns ....

Ybelikeu: Id say try and locate another front axle , sounds like the one on your tractor needs to be recycled ...