Replace or Repair ?

Replace or Repair ?

• Total voters

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you better get in the real world, just because you know what you are doing there are a lot of mower owners out there that don't the difference between a bolt or nut and aren't about to learn. So what are you saying those mower owners just let there grass grow or have it done. They might enjoy cutting grass but too bad if you don't know how to fix it you can't own a mower. I am sure glad you are not running this country. I don't know what type of neighbor hood you live in but it isn't going to happen here. What is rewarding to you or me (I enjoy repairs) isn't to the next person. Now back to this cheap throw away 200 dollar mower, repair for 200 dollars or buy new. I am going to tell this non mechanic buy a new mower. Now a hobby of repairing mower is a different story rewarding and affordable. Even myself I won't spend 200 dollars to repair a 200 dollar mower. If it was me I would buy a top name used mower and repair and keep for years but as I remember that isn't what this poll was about.

I would replace to if the cost was same as buying new. But some customers would fix anyways and say "This mower been the family for 20-30 years go ahead fix it. I wanna keep it running in the family for generation use." This could poll question could go either way it boils down to the cost to fix vs the cost of a new one.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would replace to if the cost was same as buying new. But some customers would fix anyways and say "This mower been the family for 20-30 years go ahead fix it. I wanna keep it running in the family for generation use." This could poll question could go either way it boils down to the cost to fix vs the cost of a new one.

Now don't forget we are talking about a 200 dollar throw away mower. I don't know what mowers cost where you live but here that would be bottom of the line mower here. Now this is something that wouldn't last no 20-30 years and not made for family generation use unless maybe you lived in a third world country. Now a top quality mow yes to all of the above. Like I said early for my self, if I was to buy a mower it would be a top quality used mower and repair it as needed. Now if the poll was for a top quality mower I would agree with everyone on this post. As I recall it a 200dollar repair for a 200dollar mower and that is nuts unless you payed 200 dollars 30 years ago when your money went somewhere.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now don't forget we are talking about a 200 dollar throw away mower. I don't know what mowers cost where you live but here that would be bottom of the line mower here. Now this is something that wouldn't last no 20-30 years and not made for family generation use unless maybe you lived in a third world country. Now a top quality mow yes to all of the above. Like I said early for my self, if I was to buy a mower it would be a top quality used mower and repair it as needed. Now if the poll was for a top quality mower I would agree with everyone on this post. As I recall it a 200dollar repair for a 200dollar mower and that is nuts unless you payed 200 dollars 30 years ago when your money went somewhere.

I know. I can get weedeater/poulan pushmower for $150 at walmart but I won't cause the decks are cheap and split easy on the side. I have almost 30 year old electric start/gas selfpropelled with the 4hp I/C Briggs. The white colored Briggs engines. Its still kickin and running. Now back on a

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know. I can get weedeater/poulan pushmower for $150 at walmart but I won't cause the decks are cheap and split easy on the side. I have almost 30 year old electric start/gas selfpropelled with the 4hp I/C Briggs. The white colored Briggs engines. Its still kickin and running. Now back on a

Now would you spend 200 dollars to fix that poulan push-mower you bought at walmart for150 dollars. A fool and his money is soon parted. I would say just buy another 150 dollar mower for parts it would be cheaper.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now would you spend 200 dollars to fix that poulan push-mower you bought at walmart for150 dollars. A fool and his money is soon parted. I would say just buy another 150 dollar mower for parts it would be cheaper.

Yes, I would just buy another $150 poulan pushmower and keep the other for parts. All the ones I got frre lately that dont run the decks are very cheaply made and they split easy on the side. Its almost like the 3.5 briggs is too heavy for the deck.

Duffer72

Threads
Buy a new one, considering other things that could break on the old one and with the new one you have a warranty. Then put the old one on craigs list for 50.00 and one of the people on this list will buy and restore it! Sorry guys but I just can't get emotionally attached to a piece of power equipment enough that I want to make sure it is around to hand down to my family years after I am gone.

As another poster said earlier if a customer brought something like this into the shop I would refuse to take it in for repair, if they are that attached to it then they will expect me to cover anything else that goes wrong with it for the next 2 or 3 yrs for free.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
As another poster said earlier if a customer brought something like this into the shop I would refuse to take it in for repair, if they are that attached to it then they will expect me to cover anything else that goes wrong with it for the next 2 or 3 yrs for free.

Your totally wrong on that theory dude. You warranty the work you do not the whole mower when you work on it. So if something else breaks not related to your fix the customer has to bring back and pay have it fixed also not the repair.

Duffer72

Threads
I know what you are saying but not sure if you have had a shop or not, but people expect you to cover anything on thier machine if they have spent a large amount of money on it, was taken to small claims court for a bad transmission on a rider, it went bad 6 months after we put a new engine on the mower, the mower wasn't worth the price of a short block but I did the job as it was the father of a very good customer and freind of mine, MISTAKE!!!! Even thought they didn't get any $ I still was out of the shop most of the day for the court day so I lost anyting I made on the job plus I am sure he bad mouthed me to his freinds.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know what you are saying but not sure if you have had a shop or not, but people expect you to cover anything on thier machine if they have spent a large amount of money on it, was taken to small claims court for a bad transmission on a rider, it went bad 6 months after we put a new engine on the mower, the mower wasn't worth the price of a short block but I did the job as it was the father of a very good customer and freind of mine, MISTAKE!!!! Even thought they didn't get any $ I still was out of the shop most of the day for the court day so I lost anyting I made on the job plus I am sure he bad mouthed me to his freinds.

How did you loose out? What does replacing engine have to with a bad transmission? Dont remove a trany to replace a engine so its not your fault. He should have bought the transmission to go with the new engine.

Duffer72

Threads
I spent a day at court when I could have been in the shop billing out work!