Replace or Repair ?

Replace or Repair ?

• Total voters

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fix it. The older snappers with the I/C Briggs are tough. I mowed soda cans with one and didn't even shear a flywheel key or bent the crankshaft/mower blade.

jamesslcx

Threads
Do whatever makes you happy, fixing them makes me happy and I have to admit a shiny new one doesn't make me sad either, well after the buyers remorse wears off!

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Davbell22602: "That time happens when a rod puts hole in the block."

Not really- swap another motor on and keep on mowing , specially if theres nothing wrong with the tractor. I did that with one - i sold a tractor, guy gave me his broken one free- i swapped another motor on and was running in 2 hours- couldve stuck it right back out front if i had wanted- was nothing else wrong with the tractor.

Ill be the first to admit sometimes older ones will try your paitience - why i have 'backups for backups' - but hey new ones can have issues also - ive herd of tractors less then a year old having mechanical issues already.

Considering average cost of a tractor is like $2000 and up - repairing them is cheeper in the long run - keeping a new tractor in warranty isnt easy - thier guidelines are so tight ( specially for motor failures) you still might pay out of pocket for a repair - not to mention waiting for parts under warranty ( ive herd wait times of 2 months) and the service guy repairing it.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Davbell22602: "That time happens when a rod puts hole in the block."

Not really- swap another motor on and keep on mowing , specially if theres nothing wrong with the tractor. I did that with one - i sold a tractor, guy gave me his broken one free- i swapped another motor on and was running in 2 hours- couldve stuck it right back out front if i had wanted- was nothing else wrong with the tractor.

Ill be the first to admit sometimes older ones will try your paitience - why i have 'backups for backups' - but hey new ones can have issues also - ive herd of tractors less then a year old having mechanical issues already.

Considering average cost of a tractor is like $2000 and up - repairing them is cheeper in the long run - keeping a new tractor in warranty isnt easy - thier guidelines are so tight ( specially for motor failures) you still might pay out of pocket for a repair - not to mention waiting for parts under warranty ( ive herd wait times of 2 months) and the service guy repairing it.

I can get a new troy built at lowes for around $1200.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Simple answer to a simple question...fix it!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't understand why would you repair. You have a 200 dollar mower and it is going to cost 200 dollars to fix. Now you have a old worn out repaired 200 dollar mower. why not have a new 200 dollar mower. Now lets keep dollar for dollar and same mowers. When someone brings me a repair job like that I refuse to work on it. There is a time to stop unless you are into restoring old mowers for a hobby.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think there is a difference between repairing something...
And taking it to someone else for them to repair it.

If you are having buy parts retail Plus labor, you will be hard pressed to justify owning any piece of equipment...
Take the time to learn how to do your own Work... and become familiar enough with parts & Distribution that you know what you need and Where to get it... Not only is it fun to do, but it us Very rewarding & affordable...
:smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think there is a difference between repairing something...
And taking it to someone else for them to repair it.

If you are having buy parts retail Plus labor, you will be hard pressed to justify owning any piece of equipment...
Take the time to learn how to do your own Work... and become familiar enough with parts & Distribution that you know what you need and Where to get it... Not only is it fun to do, but it us Very rewarding & affordable...
:smile:KennyV

I think you better get in the real world, just because you know what you are doing there are a lot of mower owners out there that don't the difference between a bolt or nut and aren't about to learn. So what are you saying those mower owners just let there grass grow or have it done. They might enjoy cutting grass but too bad if you don't know how to fix it you can't own a mower. I am sure glad you are not running this country. I don't know what type of neighbor hood you live in but it isn't going to happen here. What is rewarding to you or me (I enjoy repairs) isn't to the next person. Now back to this cheap throw away 200 dollar mower, repair for 200 dollars or buy new. I am going to tell this non mechanic buy a new mower. Now a hobby of repairing mower is a different story rewarding and affordable. Even myself I won't spend 200 dollars to repair a 200 dollar mower. If it was me I would buy a top name used mower and repair and keep for years but as I remember that isn't what this poll was about.