Oil Leaking from Engine Crankshaft

Dad

Threads
Hello all,
I recently acquired a Weedeater mower with a Briggs & Stratton 300 series 148cc engine on it and I've found its leaking oil from the crankshaft.

Engine Data:
Model: 9S502
Type: 1019B1
Code: 09040352​

My Question is: What product would you recommend for stopping the leak with an oil additive? (i.e. Rislone, Lucas Oil, etc) Would such products work on these type engine seals/bearings used in Briggs & Stratton engines?

Dad

Threads
Replace the seal!!

Oh, so you're suggesting I take the easy way...:smile:

I really didn't want to open up the crankcase etc. to fix it but if that's the only way maybe I can get some help.

Does anyone have an IPB or a manual (.pdf) for this particular series engine? That would help me out a lot with the repair.

Thanks

Duffer72

Threads
No need to split the crankcase, which seal is leaking the flywheel or blade side?

Dad

Threads
It is leaking out the blade side.

Duffer72

Threads
First of all remove the plug and wire and tip the mower with the carb to the top and have someone pull the rope and check to make sure crankshaft isn't bent, if not proceed as follows, Remove the blade and hub and anything else on the crankshaft, clean up the crank shaft with some fine emery cloth to remove and rust and debris on it so it is shiney, note the position of the seal in the housing,carefully put a smaller screwdriver tip into the rubber part of the seal and pry the old one out (as I said carefully) it should come out fairly easily, oil up the crankshaft and the inside of the seal, slide the seal carefully onto the crankshaft until it starts to seat in the block, if you have a piece of PVC pipe or something similar that will fit over the crankshaft and is similar size to the outside dia of the seal use it with to push the seal into the block slowly and carefully until it is seated to the same depth as the original one using light taps from a plastic mallet or something similar, no need to hit it very hard. If you don't have a pipe or something you can use a flat nose punch or even a piece of larger wooden dowel and slowly work your way around the seal until seated. reinstall all parts taken off the crank, the plug and wire and fire it up. Good luck. I'm sure others will have variations of how to do this so expect some other responses.

PS tried to look up part number for the seal but the model # you show is not a valid #, recheck it and let me know .

Dad

Threads
Thanks, Duffer72

I'll get it back on the bench and have a look at it and I'll get check the numbers again before taking the seal out.

Dad

Threads
The Model Number looks like it is 9S502.

??

Attachments

• model number.jpg
    model number.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11

jamesslcx

Threads
Hello Dad! How bad is it leaking?

Duffer72

Threads
what is the model # on the mower, the engine number doesn't come up on B &S web site either.