changing oil

cozzarelli

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any suggestions to make oil changing on a Toro zero turn less messy?

skidsteer.ca

Forum Newbie
Threads
I take it there is no way to get a pan under where the oil drains out?

Is there anyway you can replace the drain plug (usually this is common npt ot pipe thread) with a valve and then the plug. (for safety reasons) then when it time to drain remove the pug from the valve, install a nipple in its place with a hose over it that runs to your drain pan. Open the valve a enjoy.:biggrin:
Just make sure you have the oil hot b4 hand or you willbe there awhile.
Ken

rfl

Threads
I have a bad boy but I'm sure it would work the same. It came with a hose extension from the drain plug to the back of the mower. It had a pipe plug (which leaked) to block the hose. I added a ball valve with a plug in it, just in case the valve would get hit while mowing. I then ordered an oil filter relocation kit and moved the filter off the engine to the back of the engine guard which surrounds the back of the mower. This lets me drop the filter and the oil can be caught in a pan under the back of the engine. The relocation kit was a little high at about $113.00 but it will be worth it in time. It also adds a little more oil capacity and helps cool the oil. I didn't like the mess it created trying to change the oil on a Kohler 27hp engine. It works great! Good luck.

gibby123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Would running the machine up on ramps help to create more clearance, for an oil pan ?:confused2:

jammar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Installing a rubber hose and a valve worked great for me on a 12 1/2 HP Kalwasaki. It was very easy to place a gallon plastic container on its side and open the valve. No mess and no burned fingers.

shrek

Threads
bought a device at my local hardware store. you put a tube in the crank case and use the handle and pump out the old oil....every last drop of old oil comes out. it's da bomb. can't remember what it's called. I use it on the 2 mowers, snow blower, the tiller, and car.

Hoddykubody

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with Shrek there is what i would call a oil extraction sucker lets call it . I see it used a lot in the marine industry but I use it on my tougher to get to applications and i've measured both ways and it gets all the oil out . Hope this helps .

de dee

Threads
I agree with Shrek there is what i would call a oil extraction sucker lets call it . I see it used a lot in the marine industry but I use it on my tougher to get to applications and i've measured both ways and it gets all the oil out . Hope this helps .

your sucker is a manual boat water pump,. or you can get them from auto supply places,. extractor for rear end oil ( axel)

BWH

Threads

I am a firm believer in remote (hose extension) for oil changing as well as remote grease fittings for the hard to get at fittings.

After a tough day of mowing you can make your maintenance a lot easier using remotes.