Repairs Is it the starter? Husqvarna with Kohler Courage 20HP

bellc1

Threads
  • / Is it the starter? Husqvarna with Kohler Courage 20HP
Turned the key on this 100-hour riding mower. Starter made a sound as if it wasn't engaging the flywheel. Pulled the cover, watched this vertically-mounted starter and noticed it would not raise the gear high enough to engage the flywheel. So I propped up the gear to flywheel level (with a stick, not my fingers) and turned the key. Gear turned but didn't seem to have enough oomphh to turn the flywheel.

I did not have any problem turning the flywheel by hand and compression felt normal.

I charged the battery all night, but without the charger it didn't have enough power to turn the starter. So it might be bad. But just in case I connected a charger and ran it in START mode and it had enough juice to turn the starter gear but still not enough to turn the flywheel. I could also hear the solenoid clicking.

So I'm thinking, maybe the battery needs changing, but the charger should have the amps to kick it over and did spin the starter, just not enough to spin the flywheel.

So does this sound like a starter issue?

Thanks in advance!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you are trying to start... What is the the battery voltage While it is attempting to turn the engine over??
A full charged battery should measure a little Over 12 volts with No load ... and slightly under 12 volts while cranking the engine... :smile:KennyV

bellc1

Threads
I feel so stupid. The charger indicated 12v and fully charged, but it failed the load test at Autozone. Replaced and kicked in right away. Man, that was dumb.

Thanks for the help.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix the reverse on this thing? (See other refreshed thread in Small Engine & Mower Repair)