Governor Problems with Riding Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine

BryanMona

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Governor Problems with Riding Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine
My Father-in-Law's Riding Mower has a Briggs & Sratton 12HP Industrial/Commercial Engine 281707-041201-91062611. The engine was surging very badly, and I discovered that the Governor spring had broken. I bent a new curve into the end and installed it where I THINK it is supposed to go, but does anyone have a link to a photo or diagram that would show it properly installed? The spring itself is wrapped around the linkage between the governor and the carb, and I THINK it is installed in the small holes on each lever near where the linkage itself is hooked. It is BETTER now, but still surges somewhat, so I wonder whether it is just that the spring is failing and needs to be replaced, or if there is another contibuting problem. I have the "curse of the handy" and am willing to try to fix almost anything, but I have never worked on lawn mowers and really have no training or experience with small engines (or even large ones). Anyone have any ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...
Here is a handy section from Brigg's on governors... Governor System | Frequently Asked Questions | Customer Support | Briggs & Stratton

It should cover anything you need conserning your briggs governor... There are also good illistrations of parts and engines ...
Your spring is most likely not worn out, (they never get worked hard enough to fatigue) but they can get too short.... :smile:KennyV

Threads
You need to totaly replace that spring. When you bent a new end, you changed the value of the spring. I recently asked my parts man why I had to give the motor type information when I got a new spring. He replied "If I give you the wrong spring and the mower revs up and eats itself, I could be legally liable."

Apparently the right spring is mandatory.