Labor rates....RIPOFF

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I started a thread over on TBN about the common scheme of a dealer trying to soak you for "document preparation fees" when you buy a new vehicle, tractor, or trailer. Over 100 responses so far, and the thread has gradually evolved into a discussion about dealership labor rates. The latest response is by someone who had just called a dealership, and they told him the current labor rate is $154 an hour. Makes me SO GLAD I can fix so many things myself. FROOKING CROOKS !!! It should be illegal to charge that much per hour for anything.

Bison

Threads
You think that is bad?

Got me a concrete slab poured in my new shop.
Costed me 4 grand for 18 hrs labor,1/2 that was waiting for the crete to cure so they(he) could power trowel it. Fella had 2 kids with him to help wheel the concrete in and only one power trowel.
About 10 hrs honest work....$400 an hr :eek:

Bison

Threads
Been to a Dentist lately????

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You think that is bad?

Got me a concrete slab poured in my new shop.
Costed me 4 grand for 18 hrs labor,1/2 that was waiting for the crete to cure so they(he) could power trowel it. Fella had 2 kids with him to help wheel the concrete in and only one power trowel.
About 10 hrs honest work....$400 an hr :eek:

Did the guy give you a bid on the entire job he did before you hired him? FOUR GRAND....!!! JUST FOR LABOR???? How big an area did he do? If you were using a 4 inch thickness, each 3 foot by 3 foot area would have cost you about $12 for the concrete.....at most. Here, locally, a square yard delivered costs about $130-$150 depending on load size.

Mower manic

Threads
Remember... he's talking Canadian dollars so that 25% right there...more or less

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remember... he's talking Canadian dollars so that 25% right there...more or less

Good point, thanks, the exchange rate is something I never have to deal with....:thumbsup:

Bison

Threads
Did the guy give you a bid on the entire job he did before you hired him? FOUR GRAND....!!! JUST FOR LABOR???? How big an area did he do? If you were using a 4 inch thickness, each 3 foot by 3 foot area would have cost you about $12 for the concrete.....at most. Here, locally, a square yard delivered costs about $130-$150 depending on load size.

Yes he did, he quoted me $1.50 a sq ft, shop is 3000 sq ft so it's supposed to be a deal for 4 grand.:rolleyes:

I know nuttin about laying a concrete floor and needed level and slope to drains, so i had it done.
Two other concrete contractors quoted me $ 2.30 and 2.50 per ft respectively(labor only).
The concrete was not included and is here about $200 per cubic yard delivered.
The slab avereges 7.5 inch thick

Never mind the dollar,its close to par anyway, at that time the Canadian dollar was higher than the US dollar

I sure felt like i've been" had" after the sucker was done and i actually seen how much work it took:rolleyes:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes he did, he quoted me $1.50 a sq ft, shop is 3000 sq ft so it's supposed to be a deal for 4 grand.:rolleyes:

I know nuttin about laying a concrete floor and needed level and slope to drains, so i had it done.
Two other concrete contractors quoted me $ 2.30 and 2.50 per ft respectively(labor only).
The concrete was not included and is here about $200 per cubic yard delivered.
The slab avereges 7.5 inch thick

Never mind the dollar,its close to par anyway, at that time the Canadian dollar was higher than the US dollar

I sure felt like i've been" had" after the sucker was done and i actually seen how much work it took:rolleyes:

I have done a LOT of concrete slab and flat work, last job I worked on we had six guys doing a 5 inch thick, 18X40 basement slab here, I don't know HTF ANYBODY could do a pour four times the size we did with only two helpers. We didn't use a power trowler, but from starting the pour to the time we got done took us about five hours at most. Not sure how much work the guy did, whether he tamped the base, laid out the screeding frames, what kind of float(s) he used, or even how much of the entire job he did at one time. My calcuations say 70 yards total at 7.5 inches.

Bison

Threads
I have done a LOT of concrete slab and flat work, last job I worked on we had six guys doing a 5 inch thick, 18X40 basement slab here, I don't know HTF ANYBODY could do a pour four times the size we did with only two helpers. We didn't use a power trowler, but from starting the pour to the time we got done took us about five hours at most. Not sure how much work the guy did, whether he tamped the base, laid out the screeding frames, what kind of float(s) he used, or even how much of the entire job he did at one time. My calcuations say 70 yards total at 7.5 inches.
I said he had two helpers with him,i didn't tell ye my brother and me helped wheel the concrete in :wink:
,...and mebbe we Canadian are tougher than Yankees and can work harder :tongue:

There was an existing old uneven concrete slab as base(there used to be a hogbarn there before),the rebar work was in place allready(i did that)No screeding frames where used,just a couple pegs here and there as referance for the hight.
He used a 2x4 as screed and eyeballed most of it.one guy used a 5' wide float on a 15' pole to level it off on the go.
The old fart obviously knew what he was doing as he pointed exactly where he wanted a wheel barrow dumped without having to add or take away from any location.
The whole slab was poured without use of a shovel,just 1 garden rake was used.

The floor came out pretty decent with the floor topography as i wanted.

Concrete is sold here in Cubic meters,....yeah i know it don't make sense if everything else is still done in feet and inches(that's Effed Up guv-ment for ye :rolleyes::mad:),it took 51 cubic meter.

Attachments

• concrete shop 001.jpg
    concrete shop 001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 12
  • concrete shop 002.jpg
    concrete shop 002.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 11
  • concrete shop 007.jpg
    concrete shop 007.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 12

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I said he had two helpers with him,i didn't tell ye my brother and me helped wheel the concrete in :wink:
,...and mebbe we Canadian are tougher than Yankees and can work harder :tongue:

There was an existing old uneven concrete slab as base(there used to be a hogbarn there before),the rebar work was in place allready(i did that)No screeding frames where used,just a couple pegs here and there as referance for the hight.
He used a 2x4 as screed and eyeballed most of it.one guy used a 5' wide float on a 15' pole to level it off on the go.
The old fart obviously knew what he was doing as he pointed exactly where he wanted a wheel barrow dumped without having to add or take away from any location.
The whole slab was poured without use of a shovel,just 1 garden rake was used.

The floor came out pretty decent with the floor topography as i wanted.

Concrete is sold here in Cubic meters,....yeah i know it don't make sense if everything else is still done in feet and inches(that's Effed Up guv-ment for ye :rolleyes::mad:),it took 51 cubic meter.

Looks really, good, that is very thick for a floor...BTW, 51 cubic meters calculates out to 67 cubic yards so I was close. I agree with you that $4000 for the work was a ripoff, I have never priced concrete flat work myself but have a hard time understanding why other contractors would have charged more for the same work. We poured our addition floor in two 18X40 sections, one at a time, it cost me lunch, drinks, and a $40 cash payment to my two nephews each time for their help. My brothers and brothers in law owed me the help.