Snapper Rear Engine Not Starting

jh756

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a snapper rear engine rider that won't start for me. It's been left outside for the past 4 weeks, which was the last time I used it to cut the grass. I went out today & couldn't get the engine to start.

I took the cover off & everything looks okay, nothing in the intake, everything looks to be in good condition. The mower is only two years old, so other than the fact that it was out & got rained on, I don't know what could be the problem.

Any suggestions about how to go about troubleshooting the mower?

Thanks,
John

Duffer72

Threads
is it not starting or not turning over? what engine is on it.

jh756

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm really not sure what engine it is - it's an 11.5 hp briggs & straton. On the top it says i/c 11.5hp, not sure if that tells you enough. As far as the starting/turning over question, it's a pull start, so it's definitely turning over. I doesn't sound like it's even close to catching and starting.

Duffer72

Threads
Considering that you said it sat out in the rain there are a few things you can check, on the engine below the air filter there is a throttle linkage plate , if you aren't sure what it is have someone move the throtte lever while you look for the movement on the engine, there should a smaller wire in that area that is either a slide on connector or is held on with a small nut, either way remove the wire that is attached and leads to the rest of the mower, try starting it , if it starts then I would suggest you do the following remove the belt cover on the deck and see if there is an accumulation of wet grass in the area of the blade safety switch if so clean it all out, also by the gear shift lever there should be a square cover either black or silver take that off and same as before clean out any accumaltion of grass, reconnect the wire you previously took off and try starting it, if it starts you are good to go, they are notorious for this problem ,will also happen if you wash off the machine. if it doesn't work come back and let me know. but give me the model and serial # on unit so I can look at manual. Good luck

greggary

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have a snapper mower model1028 that will not start. I was cutting with mower and it just cut off on me. I thought it had sheered a pin so i replace it but it still will not start. It will turn over but doesn't sound it is trying to start up. any suggestion?

Lawnranger

Threads
I also have a snapper mower model1028 that will not start. I was cutting with mower and it just cut off on me. I thought it had sheered a pin so i replace it but it still will not start. It will turn over but doesn't sound it is trying to start up. any suggestion?

Please do not take this the wrong way but trying to solve two different people's mower problems in the same thread can be very confusing for everyone involved. If you start a new thread with a different title than this thread, I have some information that may help you. I will be in and out today so if you do not hear from me right away please be patient. In addition someone else may respond and in that case I will let them help you.