Low power weed eater.

stanley

Threads
I have a Featherlite 20cc gas powered weed eater that has very low power. The gas/oil mix is right, the spark plug is new, and the throttle has been adjusted more time then I can count. Is there a carburetor on this thing, and if so, where can i find it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there a carburetor on this thing, and if so, where can i find it?

The carburetor is between the air filter and engine... I think that model has a primer 'push' bulb on the carb...

There are 2 main reasons a 2 cycle engine fails to start or run..
1.. Poor fuel or wrong mixture. (most fuels today have ethanol, that evaporates out of the mixture quickly, Try to find no ethanol for your 2 cycle engines, OR only use premium gasoline for your mix.
ALSO fuel quality related, wrong oil mix... (too much oil will result in a lean mixture), not good as it will run too hot. and a too little will not lube correctly (and create a too rich mixture)...

2.. Poorly made carburetors, they are very sensitive to being exactly set and any change in fuel needs a new setting at the carb. AND they wear out quickly...

The real problem is The quality you can get for $75 is a bit suspect in todays market... It can be made to work but you will most likely have to do a bit of fiddling with the variables... KennyV

Ross

Threads
Thanks for the info. I'll try the premium mix, and if that doesn't help, I'll just give in and buy a better one. I didn't know that brand was such a poor quality.

speedex

Forum Newbie
Threads
I work on lots of 2-strokes, and usually I find that low power=stopped up muffler and/or exhaust ports. Try cleaning muffler and exhaust ports, might help.

jhwentworth

Threads
I work on lots of 2-strokes, and usually I find that low power=stopped up muffler and/or exhaust ports. Try cleaning muffler and exhaust ports, might help.

Or somebody ran the thing with straight gas in it, and the cylinder is junk from scoring.

jspctr5

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a problem like this a few years ago too. Before I gotst "edukated" I took the blower machine to the dealer/service center. The mechanic made me raise my right hand and swear never to use the thing in a National Park, then promptly removed the muffler, threw the spark arrestor away, and replaced the muffler. Now I do this with all my small 2 stroke engines "right off the bat". Now they all always run fine for years, (except for the Stihl.......must hold mouth in correct postion while cursing "you ...&^&*%% piece of *^$%&^ ....and of course pulling and pulling and pulling and .....)

:laughing:

ted

Threads
Or somebody ran the thing with straight gas in it, and the cylinder is junk from scoring.

I have read horror stories online about that but I have yet to come across a site that actually knows of people who have done it. Seen it with mowers and other things too, either way its not fun.

jhwentworth

Threads
jexcept for the Stihl.......must hold mouth in correct postion while cursing "you ...&^&*%% piece of *^$%&^ ....and of course pulling and pulling and pulling and .....) :laughing:[/QUOTE said:
Stihl products will flood quite easily. Use full choke for about 4 or 5 pulls max unless it's below zero, then put the lever on high idle w/o choke. If you hear a "cough" while starting, immediately get off the choke setting.
Stihls start very well, but are sensitive to the choke. If your Stihl chainsaw won't start and you've pulled your guts out trying: hold the throttle wide open and give it 20 pulls. It will start. It was flooded. Remember, no more than 4-5 pulls with the choke on.

Hoss

Threads
If it's a featherlite, then 'nuff said. Invest in a better brand next time. I'd rather invest in a good one every 10 years, than 10 bad one's every year.