Shop tricks and tips

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here's one that came off the farm years ago and given to me by my grandfather in the 60's. To loosen rusted nuts and bolts, soak the parts with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and kerosene. It may take awhile, but believe me it does works. I still use it today on the tough ones.

snapsstorer

Threads
i have photocopies of rrepair/parts manuals for both the simplicity(allis chalmers) landlord(B-110+112) series and the snapper GT180 model tractor. i found that there is parts in the both of them that just may, what you call, uniserval parts. i had to find a flex plate for my snapper, which was NLA(no longer available) listed in the simplicity manual that was the same, which was still available. same part, different part #'s

greggn

Threads
Hey this ones pretty old but if you run out of antisieze you can substitute liquid antacid on threads, it works just as well.
Are you telling me if I run out of liquid antacid, I can use a dab of antiseize to get rid of my heartburn!!

MowGuy

Threads
Here's one that came off the farm years ago and given to me by my grandfather in the 60's. To loosen rusted nuts and bolts, soak the parts with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and kerosene. It may take awhile, but believe me it does works. I still use it today on the tough ones.

Automatic tranny fluid and kerosine will work 10X better.

Rusted parts soaking in plain food grade vinegar will become clean metal after about a week and a light scrubbing with a wire brush.

cant ever use enough PB blaster or liquid wrench

antisieze anything you ever want to come apart again.

cringe on ordering anything from sears parts direct due to shipping costs and everything conveniently being $3.99 for a $0.05 part

if your taking apart complicated pieces or intricate things (especially things with springs and small washers screws/seals) take as many photos as you can. makes it MUCH easier to reference later on.

always look where your hand arm etc will end up IF that wrench slips, blades are sharp and just ran mowers have hot mufflers...

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Automatic tranny fluid and kerosine will work 10X better.

Rusted parts soaking in plain food grade vinegar will become clean metal after about a week and a light scrubbing with a wire brush.

cant ever use enough PB blaster or liquid wrench

antisieze anything you ever want to come apart again.

cringe on ordering anything from sears parts direct due to shipping costs and everything conveniently being $3.99 for a $0.05 part

if your taking apart complicated pieces or intricate things (especially things with springs and small washers screws/seals) take as many photos as you can. makes it MUCH easier to reference later on.

always look where your hand arm etc will end up IF that wrench slips, blades are sharp and just ran mowers have hot mufflers...

Good stuff here.

MowGuy

Threads
Good stuff here.

i come from working on small engines since i was 12 moving on to cars and restoring cars, currently working on a 1929 model A ford. you learn all sorts of tricks from the restoration hobby. im sure i can remember a bunch more but drawing blanks right now haha

DaveTN

Threads
Here's a trick I use in a pinch when I don't have the right open-end wrench available, but one close. Say I need a 1/2" but only have a 9/16" at hand. Take a small washer, coin and fit it in tight between the bolt head and the wrench jaw. Tap it in with a hammer if necessary to snug it up and turn the wrench. Sometimes I've had to use 2 coins to bridge the gap! I've done it countless times when I had to. Anything metal you can wedge in there would work, an electrical box knock out plug, broken piece of hacksaw blade etc. You get the idea!

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a trick I use in a pinch when I don't have the right open-end wrench available, but one close. Say I need a 1/2" but only have a 9/16" at hand. Take a small washer, coin and fit it in tight between the bolt head and the wrench jaw. Tap it in with a hammer if necessary to snug it up and turn the wrench. Sometimes I've had to use 2 coins to bridge the gap! I've done it countless times when I had to. Anything metal you can wedge in there would work, an electrical box knock out plug, broken piece of hacksaw blade etc. You get the idea!

So that is why they call it pinching pennies! :laughing: Good idea.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thank you for this tip.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))