Shop tricks and tips

Mower manic

Threads
How do you remove the plug wire when the engine is a diesel? :laughing:

If you really want to remove a plug wire on your diesel, use a sharp knife and cut any wires directly adjacent to the fuel injector. There is no need to re connect these wires after you replace the blade or blades, your machine will run fine as log as the temperature is over 40F.
Good luck:tractor:

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
How do you remove the plug wire when the engine is a diesel? :laughing:
If you need to ask you are nott as smart as you think you are.:laughing::laughing:

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll throw another one in. If you know that you are going to get hopelessly greasy when you dive into a project, prelube yourself with hand cleaner.:licking:It helps reduce how much grease you'll have to scrub off after you get things torn apart.:wink:

If the project is really dirty, I put on latex glove to keep the hands as clean as possible.:thumbsup:

Edwards saw service

Threads
I'll throw in one. To get the clutch off of a chain saw instead of using rope packed in the cylinder which I was told was a bad idea. Use a 3/8 drive impact wrench with the appropriate socket. Works like a charm without holding the piston steady.

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll throw in one. To get the clutch off of a chain saw instead of using rope packed in the cylinder which I was told was a bad idea. Use a 3/8 drive impact wrench with the appropriate socket. Works like a charm without holding the piston steady.

There are doubtless a lot of members here who don't have an air compressor or impact wrench. BTW, in over 20 years of owning four different chain saws, I have never had to remove a clutch.

Edwards saw service

Threads
JDgreen said:
There are doubtless a lot of members here who don't have an air compressor or impact wrench. BTW, in over 20 years of owning four different chain saws, I have never had to remove a clutch.

Well professionally speaking in a shop environment air compressors and impact wrenches are necessities. And many times on professional chainsaws I had to remove a clutch due to the teeth on the sprocket wearing out.

benski

Threads
If the project is really dirty, I put on latex glove to keep the hands as clean as possible.:thumbsup:

Yep, that's a good hint as well.:thumbsup: Most of the stuff here on LMF is small enough that one really doesn't end up up to one's elbows or shoulders:eek:. I've done some stuff on marine diesels that was really atrociously dirty, and thought I'd pass that hand cleaner hint along.:licking::biggrin:

Giles

Threads
Thin metal can be cut with a hacksaw if you install two blades into the frame with one backwards (NOT UPSIDEDOWN) The opposing teeth will act like a file--slow, but has worked many times for me.
Of course, in most cases, metal snips, nibblers, and abrasive blades are used for this, but some special circumstances call for this procedure.:thumbsup:
The correct blade, for cutting any thickness of metal, is to have at least two teeth in contact with the material during cut. Since I have never seen a hacksaw blade with that many teeth, this is as close as you can get.:cool:

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, that's a good hint as well.:thumbsup: Most of the stuff here on LMF is small enough that one really doesn't end up up to one's elbows or shoulders:eek:. I've done some stuff on marine diesels that was really atrociously dirty, and thought I'd pass that hand cleaner hint along.:licking::biggrin:

If you are getting dirty up to your shoulders, you could use what I seen a vet put on when he was checking one of our cows years ago.:wink: The glove he put on went up to his shoulder and e shoved his whole arm up the cows butt.:confused2::laughing::laughing:

benski

Threads
If you are getting dirty up to your shoulders, you could use what I seen a vet put on when he was checking one of our cows years ago.:wink: The glove he put on went up to his shoulder and e shoved his whole arm up the cows butt.:confused2::laughing::laughing:

I worked 3 summers at a commercial fishing camp in AK as a teenager. The fisherman was also a vet, and I got to see a bunch of things, uh, first hand, that have stayed with me 40 years later..:eek: