Craftsman 10 hp Tecumseh tvxl 220 won't start!

jedisme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alright, got this mower for 50$, owner didn't want to deal with it and I was between hobbies, this has been one interesting and learning experience for me. Motor wont start, has compression, has spark, installed a new solenoid, replaced the exhaust valve, lapped and reseated both valves, bot valves are at. 08 now, replaced the flywheel key, cleaned carb thoroughly dissembled and cleaned, piston moves up and down. What else am I missing?

I figured the problem was with the valves felt like there was to much compression (hard to turn flywheel by hand at spots) checked the valve clearance and sure enough valve gap was pretty big.
Anymore suggestions?

BTW very nice forum here! Look forward to hearing your responses.

Threads
Check the cable that stops the engine when the safety handle is actuated. If you follow the cable it should be connected to the flywheel. If it is connected and operational, you may have to pull the flywheel to be sure the mechanism is working properly.

GoToGuy

Threads
How about some more info. Does it spin over good? Any backfire at all? have you tried force feeding fuel?

jedisme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Back fires yes, spins freely yes, I fiddled with it today and pulled the flywheel found a sheared flywheel key, put a new in did fire a little better it would sputter when I held the key over but, still would not run as soon as I let off the it would stop. I have not tried force fueling it..yet.

jedisme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Somehow I left a small piece in the flywheel key hole not allowing the key to seat..ugH! I got the fragmented piece out and installed a new one. Got the mower running but, not for long it would run for a little the die this happened maybe 2-3 times. Not sure where to go from here carb?

Threads
You may have to regap the magneto since you had it off. To do this loosten the two nuts that hold the U shaped porion of the magneto. Turn so the magneto and the magnet are facing each other. The magnet will pull the u shaped portion toward it. Slide the u shaped portion back and place a business card between the two. Tighten the nuts.
Reassemble and check for fire. Hopefully you should be good to go.

If you have fire, remove the plug, squirt a thimbleful of fuel in the piston head. put the plug back in and fire it up. If it runs briefly..........you have a carburetor problem.

jim350

Forum Newbie
Threads
we run in to same problem at shop with that tech engine,drain the fuel tank and go thru the carb,sounds like dirt or water in the carb,the jet is very small on that carb,use an oversize torch tip cleaner and hog the jet hole a bit bigger,should clear it up

jedisme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update* well I busted a stud that holds the ignition got a new one, that is taken care of. I decided to check and make sure the flywheel key was not sheared again and sure enough it was, replaced it got it running sort of, I can get it to run but only if the choke is open if I try to put it to run it kills out, also if I try to engage the blade it will die.. any suggestions? Sorry I am typing this on my phone.

Last edited: