Coleman Maxa 5000 er Plus

kermit911

Threads
LONG story short, the rpm's of my generator where high, so I read up on the generator and adjusted the high rpm nut. I lowered the rpm's down to where I get 120 Volts out of my outlets with no load.

Then I ran across a Google search. I was given an old Coleman Maxa 5000ER generator with a Tecumseh - JustAnswer and his generator look just like mine and is listed just like mine except for the Plus at the end of his type of generator. I am missing the same part (apparently) but my generator seems to run ok, this is my first experience with a generator and was curious on if I am doing something wrong or if I am missing something?

The 2nd and 3rd picture of the generator at that site is exactly what my governor looks like but I only have 1 rod coming off the governor to the throttle control on top of the carburetor. My governor arm does have two holes at the end of it.

My generator does look like it is missing a speed control bracket but I have no idea.

I did buy it used.

As always... Thank you

Dave

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
LONG story short, the rpm's of my generator where high, so I read up on the generator and adjusted the high rpm nut. I lowered the rpm's down to where I get 120 Volts out of my outlets with no load.

Then I ran across a Google search. I was given an old Coleman Maxa 5000ER generator with a Tecumseh - JustAnswer and his generator look just like mine and is listed just like mine except for the Plus at the end of his type of generator. I am missing the same part (apparently) but my generator seems to run ok, this is my first experience with a generator and was curious on if I am doing something wrong or if I am missing something?

The 2nd and 3rd picture of the generator at that site is exactly what my governor looks like but I only have 1 rod coming off the governor to the throttle control on top of the carburetor. My governor arm does have two holes at the end of it.

My generator does look like it is missing a speed control bracket but I have no idea.

I did buy it used.

As always... Thank you

Dave

One pic of mine shows linkage at top of carb, other shows connections at governor side of engine. Let me know if you need more info. My arm has two holes and my generator has never been altered in any way.

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 39
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 34

kermit911

Threads
That is exactly what mine looks like. Sweet, thanks dude.

Dave

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you don't restrict the exhaust system it should be okay.
Instead of welding to the muffler you might look at making a flange and bolting it to the engine and removing the original muffler...
It looks like it is going to make it more bulky & less portable... but Quiet is nice... Honda small gens are Very quiet... :smile:KennyV

FACESMILE

Forum Newbie
Threads
MY COLEMAN MAXA 5000 ER PLUS HAS TWO LINKAGE ONE CONNECTED AS SHOWN IN PICTURES,THE OTHER I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT CONNECTS.MAYBE I'LL TRY REMOVING IT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

kermit911

Threads
Send a pic if you can get one.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you adjusted the RPM's to get the voltage to 120, did you check Hertz? If you did not, do not use until you do so. The Hertz must be set to either 50 or 60 hertz depending on what your unit is rated, or you can burn up what ever you plug into it. Have seen a lot of contractors throw away expensive tools because someone did not like the speed of their units. Just a warning.

kermit911

Threads
THANK YOU! I didn't even think of that. :thumbsup:

acgrunt19

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same generator with the same problem.

Is there any linkage to the throttle knob with the red handle?

Does that actually adjust the throttle or does it not need to because a generator should be constant RPM's?