1971 Wheel Horse 800 Special

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm attempting to find manuals etc. for this 1-0150 (800 Special 1971) so I can get it running for my 85 year old neighbor.
This one has an 8 horse B&S engine and his BIL took the battery and most of the wiring quite some time ago -- no mower deck. The tractor itself seems to be in good shape - all he needs it for is to pull small carts with fire wood and to travel around his property. The engine turns over with the pull rope so it is not locked up.

Any help will be appreciated ! Thanks !

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good for you, BK. :thumbsup: You're helping your neighbor again.

I don't know anything about that model so all I can offer is a couple of general suggestions.

The Toro website support page may be a good place to start.

If you can find out the series of the engine (as opposed to the specific model number) that may help you search online.

I remember Toro as one of the better brands when I was growing up. This spring I bought a 1987 Suzuki-powered Toro push mower -- that fine machine has given me new enthusiasm for the brand.
I was able to find a manual (pdf) for the engine online but I'm sorry that I can't remember where I found it.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks,

The engine is a B&S 8 Hp. With starter and Generator 190434 0638-01-7008284
I have found some Manuals and parts diagrams. Most of the parts seem to be discontinued for the tractor and engine. This 800 Special seems to be rare.

When I get into it I may just want to find an engine that can be mounted with the same shaft size in the same position so the drive pulley will work.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there any spark..? Those old B&S engines had a point system, you can replace it with a solid state module ... most everything else on it should last forever... :smile:KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Kenny,
Haven't got that far yet - It does look like someone stripped out the spark plug hole in the head. :thumbdown: Some idiot had the plug held in by putting an open end wrench around the top of the plug and holding the wrench down with one of the head bolts. :eek:

If everything else will work - I wonder if someone could heli-coil the head ?? I have never actually used one.

I removed the outer pulleys (that had the electric clutch on them) since it will only be used for travel and pulling a cart.

If I can't get it running --- do you think I could find a horizontal shaft engine to replace this one ?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kenny,
To answer your question - There is a spark (weak, but there is one).

If I am careful, the spark plug seems to thread in right, but I did not attempt to tighten it.

I'm sure the fuel system including the carb will need to be cleaned - The gas cap is missing, but the tank was under the hood and seems fairly clean inside - I'll just need to find a cap that will fit and be vented. I'd love to get this engine running so it does not need a new one.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can most likely get by using a heli-coil, I have seen it work... don't like them for that... the hot set up I have used is Time Sert they are great ++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair,...
The problem with heli-coil on spark plug holes is they tend to come out with the plug... but you most likely will never be replacing the plug so it should work. If not there are Time Serts to repair a repair that failed...

I'm sure another engine could be found but if the one that is there is somewhat sound, for the lite work it will be doing I'd try getting that to go... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen the wrench holding a plug in ... but it was a box end clamping a plug in a flat head... Low compression engines would let you get by with some strange cobbles... :smile:KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just an update in case anyone is interested.
I took the head off the engine this morning and got it clean inside and out. The Spark Plug threads are worn, but the plug would thread in straight. the top outside of the plug hole looked like someone had attacked it with a chisel all the way around, so I used a reamer bit that is wider than the hole and got the chisel chips back from the inside edge and then a flat ended stone to flatten the points of those chips. When clean, the plug looks almost like new so I took the compression ring off and put some JB Weld around only the top 1/8" or so of the plug (not down on the threads) and put the plug in the head hoping that the plug will be sealed at the top without having to tighten enough to make the compression ring seal.
Cleaned the gasket, valves, and seats + the top of the piston as well as I could and put the Head back on.

Next is either freeing up (they don't move) the choke and throttle cables or finding new ones that will fit and cleaning up the fuel system. It needs a new foam air filter, but it is looking like this may actually run. :smile: MAYBE ? :rolleyes:

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
It could be re powered with another horizontal shaft motor - my 69 raider 10 breifly had a 5HP honda on it ( for about 5 feet) till the trans locked up. Ive even seen some with big v twin horizontals on em.

Its worth a shot seeing if it runs - for first starts ( after sitting a long time) i put a couple shots of PB blaster in the spark plug hole to 'free things up a bit'.