Replaced Coils on my 30hp Kohler today.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Had a coil go bad, decided to change them both since it required a bit of effort to get to. Saved myself $300 in labor by doing it myself. I'm no mechanic so I took a few pic. encase I couldn't figure out how to put it back together. LOL No left over parts and I didn't even need to refer back to the pic. I took. Shop said 3 hrs labor, took me 3 1/2 hours so I did alright. Runs like new now. LOL

Don't be afraid to tackle major repairs even if your not an expert mechanic, like me. Saves $$$

Attachments

• 1h.jpg
    1h.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 8h.jpg
    8h.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 7h.jpg
    7h.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 6h.jpg
    6h.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 5h.jpg
    5h.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 12
  • 4h.jpg
    4h.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 3h.jpg
    3h.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 2h.jpg
    2h.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 9h.jpg
    9h.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 17

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good for you, because paying a shop to replace parts at $100 an hour is a ripoff. Did you take the pics to show us what was involved, as well as help you put it back together the right way? BTW, is it common to have to replace the coils on your machine? How old is it, how many running hours?

What did the new coils cost?

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Good for you, because paying a shop to replace parts at $100 an hour is a ripoff. Did you take the pics to show us what was involved, as well as help you put it back together the right way? BTW, is it common to have to replace the coils on your machine? How old is it, how many running hours?

What did the new coils cost?

I agree, I originally took the pics to use as a reference if needed. It is not common for the coils to fail, actually only one of them did but since I had to take 1/2 the motor apart to get to them I replaced them both as a preventive measure. Coils cost me $190.oo for the pair. My mower with 1116 hrs is the one I had replaced the coils on, my other mower has over 1800 hrs and runs great, so far. LOL I just finished pressure washing them, they look pretty good considering their age. I'm big on preventive maintenance and keeping them in an enclosed trailer also helps make them last.

Attachments

• Mowers.jpg
    Mowers.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 12
  • hrs.jpg
    hrs.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 11

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always good to take pictures... and with cameras on most all phones it is really handy...
Love those Hustler mowers.... :smile:KennyV