Craftsman 6.5HP Self propelled push mower right front wheel not engaging

bluegirl

Threads
  • / Craftsman 6.5HP Self propelled push mower right front wheel not engaging
So I got under and cleaned all the "stuff" out from beneath the wheel housing. Took apart the wheel to see what was going on. Nothing seemed out of place and the parts are clean and in good shape. Not sure however, how the right wheel becomes engaged. The left wheel is fine. Also, is there a tool that makes it easier to remove (and reinstall for that matter) those fiddly c-clips that hold wheels on?

benski

Threads
Sometimes the gear will slip on the drive shaft. Other than that, a belt that is worn or loose can cause grief. As for those E-clips, what a four star PITA. I believe Snap-on and Matco both make pliers specifically for removal and installation, but it'll take a LOT of mowers to make them seem like a bargain..$$:eek:

Threads
Make sure the wheel is not stripped on that side...Craftsman mowers are bad about doing this..If not it has to be in the transmission

lakeviewpe

Threads
Pretty much all front wheel drives have the plastic gear lining the inside of the wheels and they strip out pretty easily, especially when you still have the transmission engaged and pull back on the mower. Will probably need a new wheel to repair, which may only be sold in a kit.

mikehouse

Threads
Hey,I had the same problem.Took the left and switched to the right.As I thought,the left side was bad.So I bought a new pulley,(I mean if you're gonna buy a belt why not?) and a new belt and a SET of new wheels.Problem solved.

upupandaway

Threads
Pretty much all front wheel drives have the plastic gear lining the inside of the wheels and they strip out pretty easily, especially when you still have the transmission engaged and pull back on the mower. Will probably need a new wheel to repair, which may only be sold in a kit.[/QUOTe

As lakeview says, before u start taking it apart u can have someone step on the handle of slip it under a car bumper while u try to turn each wheel by hand. easily turning = 99% likely bad gear teeth inside wheel like lakeview says.

From what benski says though, sears self propell are solid shaft so if the gearbox was bad neither wheel would work. Fill me in if not.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
5 year old thread guy's.