Motor locked up

Tweeder

Threads
At low idle for the past couple months there has been a noticeable rattle from the bottom end. I figured something is going or the pulley on the shaft was dented causing it. At high idle I couldn't hear it no more. Well the other day after mowing I was going up the drive to the garage, the engine seemed to load up and when I made it into the garage she went boom. Soooo the question is what is the average price parts wise for a rebuild? Rings, gaskets, bearings. Just trying to figure if it's worth rebuilding or replacing. Also if I do rebuild, any one put larger pistons or change the stroke for more hp?

Black Bart

Threads
At low idle for the past couple months there has been a noticeable rattle from the bottom end. I figured something is going or the pulley on the shaft was dented causing it. At high idle I couldn't hear it no more. Well the other day after mowing I was going up the drive to the garage, the engine seemed to load up and when I made it into the garage she went boom. Soooo the question is what is the average price parts wise for a rebuild? Rings, gaskets, bearings. Just trying to figure if it's worth rebuilding or replacing. Also if I do rebuild, any one put larger pistons or change the stroke for more hp?

IF it locked up you may have ruined the crank.
Boring and stroking will cost BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$ cheaper to buy another engine that is already larger

Threads
If it cracked the case/ block you will have to replace the engine.. Can you see anywhere the internals might have tried to come through the engine?

Tweeder

Threads
If it cracked the case/ block you will have to replace the engine.. Can you see anywhere the internals might have tried to come through the engine?

Not that I can see, theres no oil leaking either.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Personally, i just swap motors for a known good one, its easier first off and second, its ready to go - ive investigated some tractors with broken motors ive gotten ( tore the motors completely apart) - might look good outside, but some have been really torn up inside - depends what caused the motor to let loose in the first place.

If youre set on rebuilding it, id crack the motor open, thoroughly check inside after cleaning it ( for any hairline cracks) , then with the motor numbers check and see what a total rebuild kit would cost. I know a buddy of mine bot a piston, rod and rings for single cylender briggs he had for like $50 - a whole new crank would be more, might as well check the valves, ect, ect while in there.

Or could go on craigslist, find a tractor with say a broken trans but good motor pretty cheep and do some swapping for possibly half the cost of a rebuild or brand new motor.

Tweeder

Threads
Personally, i just swap motors for a known good one, its easier first off and second, its ready to go - ive investigated some tractors with broken motors ive gotten ( tore the motors completely apart) - might look good outside, but some have been really torn up inside - depends what caused the motor to let loose in the first place.

If youre set on rebuilding it, id crack the motor open, thoroughly check inside after cleaning it ( for any hairline cracks) , then with the motor numbers check and see what a total rebuild kit would cost. I know a buddy of mine bot a piston, rod and rings for single cylender briggs he had for like $50 - a whole new crank would be more, might as well check the valves, ect, ect while in there.

Or could go on craigslist, find a tractor with say a broken trans but good motor pretty cheep and do some swapping for possibly half the cost of a rebuild or brand new motor.

Yeah I was looking on ebay and seen a couple 20hp new on there but not a B&S. Should work providing they gave the same shaft if not I could find the same size pulley for that shaft.

Tweeder

Threads
I also have a 6 or 6.5 craftsman pusher with a good motor, would that work in t he mean time to get me by?

Threads
Have you checked on your local craigslist?