briggs and stratton 12hp piston is DEAD

sean'sengines

Threads
Well, after I swapped the 12hp I/C Briggs out of my Bolens ST120 and put in the 14.5hp OHV Briggs, I decided to split the case and take a look at the piston rings because i was brurning massive amount of oil. Well, I took it out and found that the top ring (which you can see in the last picture probably) was seized on one half of the piston. I could have probably figured out how to get it unstuck and put a new set in, but then, once getting out of my shop and into better light, discovered that the piston is cracked in 2 places. :mad:

Well, a new piston and rings is $65 and the motor is 23 years old, so I think I'll skip out on rebuilding it, and just use it for parts. My dad is going to his school tomorrow and seeing if the shop teacher there (who teaches small engine repair - I should be co-teaching that class :tongue: ) (my dad teaches wood shop at the school - pointless fact) might have a 12hp piston. If not, I'll just use the engine for parts and not rebuild it. I don't know how the piston got cracked, but it was never run low on oil except for once 5 years ago when the engine was rebuilt professionally (or so we thought)

Check out the pics! (I guess this might explain another part of the burning oil and the mild knocking noise. :tongue: )

Attachments

• 100_2305.jpg
    100_2305.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_2306.jpg
    100_2306.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_2307.jpg
    100_2307.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 17