Newbie Looking for a Riding Mower

thefuzzbucket

Forum Newbie
Threads
I moved onto a 6 acre hobby farm last year and I bought a self propelled push mower. It's nice but it's a 3 hour job and I'm getting tired of it. Right now roughly 10-15% of my property is lawn and I want to expand that.

I need help choosing a riding mower. How many HP? What engine make? Who's got the best mower?

I need help? :confused2:

Thanks.

VRman

Threads
With 6 acres, I think you are going to want to look at a compact tractor. You can get them with a backhoe and loader, and any other 3pt attachments you might need. Very versatile, and worth the investment. The things you can accomplish when you go with a tractor over a lawn mower are mind boggling. :thumbsup:

Great place to read about them is over on tractorbynet.

thefuzzbucket

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a tractor, I need a mower. I have small lawns in sereral spots, quite a few trees to get around and a section that is like a ditch to cut.

I'll take all the advice I can get.

rekees

Threads
Take a look at the John Deere X... series riding mowers. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

crodriguez

Forum Newbie
Threads
A zero turn is the way to go. I cant say mine in the best to get but mowing at 4 miles an hour and zipping around trees is a time saver. Your three hours will go doun to less than one hour. I have a club cadet Tank. I have had few problems with it in the past 8 years and they have all been small ones. Never had to take mine into the dealer. I have a prob with the mower clutch at the moment but I am sure it will be a easy fix.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In choosing a mower... A lot has to do with how you feel about mowing...
I have always 'kind of' enjoyed mowing.. I have to admit since getting great reliable equipment I enjoy it a LOT more...
I think anyone that sort of likes mowing is going to like their mower.
Those that tend to dread mowing may not like theirs so much...

... If your happy with your mower... clap your hands.... Ha ha:biggrin:

Always try to enjoy the things you have to do...
and look forward for to the things you don't have to do... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
I would test drive several models to see which is more suited to your taste. Looks like you like kubota so I'd start there. I bought a ZTR front deck Grasshopper this spring and am mowing more than I probably have to but as Kenny says I like mowing and on a good machine like it even more now. let us know what you decide on. russ

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I moved onto a 6 acre hobby farm last year and I bought a self propelled push mower. It's nice but it's a 3 hour job and I'm getting tired of it. Right now roughly 10-15% of my property is lawn and I want to expand that.

I need help choosing a riding mower. How many HP? What engine make? Who's got the best mower

I need help? :confused2:

Thanks.

You need help choosing a riding mower. How many HP? What engine make? Who's got the best mower? All are good questions and all are of personal preference. As far as who has the best mower some will say JD others will tell you Exmark and the list goes on.
If what you have is a 3 hour job a good 44" to 54" ZTR would cut your time in half. Depending on the terrain you're trying to mow a good Wide Area Walk Behind mower could be a good choice. As far as Motor type Kohler or Kawasaki would be my two choices, personally I stay as far away from B&S motors as I can.
Please keep in mind that all the information I am giving you is my personal preference and what I personally run, A Cub Cadet 44" Z Force ZTR with a Kohler 20 hp V Twin and a Cub Cadet G1336 WB with a 13hp Kawasaki V twin and I'm mowing 51 lawns weekly for the last two years and have never had a problem with either.

Last edited:

Thunder

Threads
I would start with a Cub Cadet with a 44" cut to start with. Nothing fancy. Once you're finished with how big you want your lawn to be and it's matured, upgrade to a John Deere. Unless you're satisfied with your Cub.