Slipping PTO belt on TroyBilt 42" Manual PTO

FarmerCharlie

Threads
I am trying to get my old Troy-Bilt Model 609 42" mower going again. I quit using it several years ago because the PTO belt would not engage properly even with a new belt. When I check the belt tension, it doesn't seem to tighten much at all when I engage the manual PTO. I'm getting ready to remove the deck to try to figure out what is wrong, and thought I would ask for suggestions on what to look for. Here is the diagram of the belt:
https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~branch/images/FarmEquipment/TroyBiltMower/PTOBelt_Manual.jpg
When I last looked at it, the pulleys seemed OK, but engaging the manual PTO would just not tighten the belt enough to engage. I seem to recall there was some interaction in the adjustments for the belt tension and brakes, and I suspect the last mechanic may have adjusted them incorrectly. I remember he said something to me about installing a longer bolt to solve the problem, but that did not help. That bolt is labeled in the second image. I think that is the bolt that connects to the cable that connects to the PTO lever. When I removed the deck the last time, I couldn't see how the "long" bolt would have accomplished anything.
https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~branch/images/FarmEquipment/TroyBiltMower/PTOBelt_Manual_b.jpg
What I have considered, if all else fails, is to add an additional idler pulley as shown in red in the second image. I suppose it would be better to try to get it all working properly, but I'm not above jury rigging something if necessary.

Thanks,
Charles

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Lock down the brake . Look at the rod linkage under the tractor . A few turns of the bolt and the rod will tighten the pulley . Operate the deck and beware of rubber burning smell . Normally 1/4 inch turn down on the bolt is enough to tighten the belt .

FarmerCharlie

Threads
Thanks. I'm not sure exactly which rod you are referring to, but maybe it will be clearer when I remove the deck tomorrow. Will the rod be on the deck assembly or the tractor itself?

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Try the brake clutch peddle first before removing the deck . The peddle is really a separate item that connects to the deck by a steel cable that pulls the tensioner tighter . I do not recall any adjustment you can do on the deck itself - I just had a dormant simplicity with the same problem . The tensioner was in fact very stiff from lack of use - white lube grease in a spray can got it to move back to it's normal range . But the brake peddle rod still needed a few turns clock wise .
I know your tractor needs the tensioner to be in good condition to do top speed .
Thrown belt comes from sloppy adjustments .

FarmerCharlie

Threads
I couldn't find any linkage between the foot brake and the PTO. But I think I did diagnose the real problem. I took the deck off, and it looked to me like the problem might actually be that the pulley brakes were not releasing when I engaged the PTO. The PTO lever controls the pulley brake pads from a cable that links to the lever. The shafts on the brake pad axles seemed to wobble excessively. When I tried manually pulling on the cable, the right brake assembly seemed to just wobble instead of rotating and releasing the brake pads. Here is a picture of the deck with the brake assembly.
https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~branch/images/FarmEquipment/mowers/IMG_5610._labeled_800.jpg
As a test, I removed the pulley brake assembly, which is illustrated here.
https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~branch/images/FarmEquipment/mowers/IMG_5616_800.jpg

Now the blades engage just fine.

Question: How bad an idea would it be to just leave the brake pad assembly off? The shafts seem to have a lot of wobble, and it doesn't look like there is any adjustment.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
The pads are a saftey device to keep the deck from running with the deck disengaged - you should be able to tighten up that rod between the brakes to let it rotate as normal ( should bring the pads further away from the pulleys) - the movement you see in the 'shafts' are most likely wear on the bolts/brackets - those can be replaced- or if its not interfering with anything can be left alone - most likely they vibrate from the deck movement.

About removing it - well thats up to you .