Kawasaki 12.5 HP Oil leak

jakesmurray

Threads
Last night, while I was trying to get the deive belt off under the engine, oil suddenly started to leak. I grabbed a cloth and wiped it off, and it quit. Well, when I went out to the shop this morning, all of the oil had completetly drained out of the engine, and now it is all over the floor. Did I break some sort of gasket while I was poking a round down there? I was using a couple of flat head screwdrivers to get the belt off. It is a Kawasaki FB460V on a John Deere 112L mower. Thanks for any help

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
The block is kinda soft - better get a bright light and more rags . You could of put a crack in the aluminum block or belly

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok, I just took off both pulleys on the crankshaft, and looked under the mower. I drained out all of the oil from the plug before I did this. It appears that the oil come from where the crankshaft goes up into the engine. The block looks fine and is not broken. It looks like there is a gasket there and it is dry and cracked. How do I replace that gasket? Do I have to take the engine off the mower? Thanks!

webuyanymower.com

Threads
If it is the crank seal that has gone you should be able to remove it without much trouble. Make sure the crank is clean and any dirt and rust is removed. I made a set of seal picks out two small screwdrivers by bending the tips ninety degrees. One each side of the crank up through the seal rubber and pull. The rubber normally gives up first and comes out in two bits the metal ring can then be dug out. A bit of a fiddle. When you have removed the old seal clean up the seat in the bottom of the engine wipe a little grease around it and slide the new seal in to place gently tap it in to place with a tube over the crank. Do test the seal before you rebuild evething.

jakesmurray

Threads
If it is the crank seal that has gone you should be able to remove it without much trouble. Make sure the crank is clean and any dirt and rust is removed. I made a set of seal picks out two small screwdrivers by bending the tips ninety degrees. One each side of the crank up through the seal rubber and pull. The rubber normally gives up first and comes out in two bits the metal ring can then be dug out. A bit of a fiddle. When you have removed the old seal clean up the seat in the bottom of the engine wipe a little grease around it and slide the new seal in to place gently tap it in to place with a tube over the crank. Do test the seal before you rebuild evething.

Ok I'll try that. Thanks!

Amozick

Forum Newbie
Threads
How hard was it to replace this seal?

jakesmurray

Threads
How hard was it to replace this seal?

Honestly, I don't know, because I ended up taking it to a mower repair shop to be done. I did try to pick it out myself with the engine still mounted on the mower, but there was not enough room and I couldn't get it out. The repair guy ended up taking the engine off the mower and flipping it upside down to get it out. So, if you can get the engine off and upside down, I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to remove and replace. That has been about a year and a half ago, and it doesn't leak a drop, so it fixed my problem.
Hope this helps.