Modified Snapper Exhaust

calrec1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got weary of pounding sound of the stock muffler on my 12.5 Hp Snapper RER.

This quieted it down and mellowed it also. The muffler is a Nelson 10N78, (stamped on it). Bought it from a local mower shop, my coworker brazed the assembly together.

Chrome stack is a 'turn down' which directs exhaust toward the back.

Attachments

• Muffler complete.JPG
    Muffler complete.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 80

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Snapper Forum. :smile:

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
We get these in the shop all the time . The muffler is to close to the side of the tractor . Owners back into or brush up against trees - snaps the muffler body from the flanges

calrec1

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's supported by a heavy steel bracket angled from the front and bolted to the 2 threaded mounting sockets under the valve cover. It's also positioned to clear the single bagger tube. Rear wheel extends beyond muffler.

I'll be aware of it and protective of that, though.

Attachments

• Muffler Support.JPG
    Muffler Support.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
awesome!....how much quieter is it?

calrec1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Measured 4.5db quieter using a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter. Both mufflers fired directly at the meter from 10Ft. away

Overall, it sounds mellower. I was told the muffler was from a 14.5 Hp tractor.

Last edited:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i have one of those meters too :laughing:...ive built quite a bit of exhuast systems and resonance is a hidden noise thats hard to conquer ....but i like it and now i want to do mine! :thumbsup:

calrec1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did'nt mean to start anything that might cause problems for someone down the line :eek:

From my limited reasearch on mufflers I hope the engine likes it. :rolleyes: The idea came to me from someone on another forum who mounted a long tractor muffler horizontally over the wheel. I wanted to still use the single bagger - the muffler snuggles between the engine and the bagger tube.