MTD Lawn Tractor-Won't Start

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
If your hearing a single click - check that your blade PTO is NOT in the on position .

StatemanG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Folks,
Thanks for all your replies and advice. I have been really busy, and have not had time to further diagnosis the problem with my tractor. Today, I took the starter out and cleaned the top of it, and unscrewed the red wire connection to the engine (to clean it). I notice now sometimes that I get a jerk out of the engine under the rotating screen, but that is it - other than that low pitch sound that accompanies that occurs when trying to start the tractor. Red Dragon, you had asked a while back what the engine is and it is as follows: Briggs and Stratton model-28T707 Type: 1154E1 Code: 990203ZD I found the part manual for the tractor, and the part numbers for starter switch (600 thru 679 series MTD Tractor): 725-0267 (ignition switch) and 725-1426 for the solenoid. The link to the parts manual is . I tried to unloosen the both the red cables from the solenoid today (thinking of replacing the power cables), and they would not budge-might need something else other than a socket set to loosen....Does anyone know of a good place to buy parts online? Sometimes with all the wires, parts, and such, it might just easier to dig up the cash to get it fixed by someone here locally.... replacing these parts are difficult sometimes because the are hard to get to. I don't have the diagnostic equipment to find out what the problem is and might have to just start buying part. If anyone has any more thoughts, please let me know. Thanks again, StatemanG

daver77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I created an account just to respond to this hopefully help someone else out that gets stuck like me. I had the exact same issue. Checked Solinoid, starter, wires batteries, everything. Put a for sale sign on it in the front yard. after thinking at work I went home and took off the engine cover.. There was a big fat momma mouse and 4 babies all nursing. They had a big nest that had jammed the flywheel and gear off the starter. Sent them into the field and cleared out all the grass and gum and she fired right up.