JD 112L electrical problem

jakesmurray

Threads
I have a slight electrical problem on my John Deere 112L mower. First off, when I go out and start it using the electric start, it fires right up and runs fine. However, if I shut it off and try to start it again, it does nothing. What could the problem be? Another problem is the PTO switch. I have the deck removed right now, but when I flick the switch to turn the PTO on, it will turn on, but it will not disengage unless I turn the mower off. Maybe this is causing the key switch to mess up too? We bought this mower at an auction for $90, it appears that the guy who had it had tried to do some electrical work on it. There were two purple wires just hanging loose, so I did figure out that those had to be attached for the electric start to work. Also, he replaced the seat and the seat kill switch is not plugged into anything- it is just sitting under the seat loose. If I get a replacement OEM seat, will it have a plug in the bottom of it for this switch? If I can just get these electrical problems solved, this will be a nice little mower. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a slight electrical problem on my John Deere 112L mower. First off, when I go out and start it using the electric start, it fires right up and runs fine. However, if I shut it off and try to start it again, it does nothing. What could the problem be? Another problem is the PTO switch. I have the deck removed right now, but when I flick the switch to turn the PTO on, it will turn on, but it will not disengage unless I turn the mower off. Maybe this is causing the key switch to mess up too? We bought this mower at an auction for $90, it appears that the guy who had it had tried to do some electrical work on it. There were two purple wires just hanging loose, so I did figure out that those had to be attached for the electric start to work. Also, he replaced the seat and the seat kill switch is not plugged into anything- it is just sitting under the seat loose. If I get a replacement OEM seat, will it have a plug in the bottom of it for this switch? If I can just get these electrical problems solved, this will be a nice little mower. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

The key sends 12 volts to the starter solenoid ... there may be any number of "safety" interlock, interrupts in that path..., Since there was someone else fiddling with the wiring, You will need to track them down... There could have been a seat interrupt, a neutral interrupt, a PTO interrupt... you (or the previous owner) Could put any type interrupt they wanted... They could have also modified or by passed any factory interrupts... so just follow the path, there is a very limited amount of wiring on any mower .... won't take long but must be done if you want to understand what is going on...

Your question about turning on the PTO with the mower deck removed... is hard for me to follow.
How do you know when the PTO is engaged if the deck is removed from the tractor? How do you know if the PTO is disengaged with no mower deck??
How do you turn off the mower If there is no mower deck attached to the tractor???

If you are referring to the electric clutch remaining engaged when there is no belt in the pulley, that will be okay as there is a little bit of friction between the clutch plates when the electromagnet is off... but that clutch is off with the PTO switch in the off position... it may or may not be turning the pulley.

As to the seat ... you can choose to use an interrupt switch or not if you choose any seat... :smile:KennyV

jakesmurray

Threads
The key sends 12 volts to the starter solenoid ... there may be any number of "safety" interlock, interrupts in that path..., Since there was someone else fiddling with the wiring, You will need to track them down... There could have been a seat interrupt, a neutral interrupt, a PTO interrupt... you (or the previous owner) Could put any type interrupt they wanted... They could have also modified or by passed any factory interrupts... so just follow the path, there is a very limited amount of wiring on any mower .... won't take long but must be done if you want to understand what is going on...

Your question about turning on the PTO with the mower deck removed... is hard for me to follow.
How do you know when the PTO is engaged if the deck is removed from the tractor? How do you know if the PTO is disengaged with no mower deck??
How do you turn off the mower If there is no mower deck attached to the tractor???

If you are referring to the electric clutch remaining engaged when there is no belt in the pulley, that will be okay as there is a little bit of friction between the clutch plates when the electromagnet is off... but that clutch is off with the PTO switch in the off position... it may or may not be turning the pulley.

As to the seat ... you can choose to use an interrupt switch or not if you choose any seat... :smile:KennyV

Ok, I'll see if I can find any interruptions in the switch. Once I get the deck back on, I'll check the pto. Thanks for the help