Cub Cadet Engine

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looking at buying a self propelled mower and I've been looking at a Cub cadet CC-94M and it has a 173cc Cub Cadet OHV engine. Apparently Cub Cadet is making there own engine and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these engines, good or bad.:anyone:

indypower

Threads
CubCadte is owned by MTD. MtTD started making their own engines in 2008 after a spat with B&S and Tecumseh going out of business. Cub used to have a deal with B&S to put the CubCadet name on the engines.

173abn

Threads
I also believe Yanmar and CubCadet merged and make CUTs.Don't know how good they are and how long the realationship will last. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I also believe Yanmar and CubCadet merged and make CUTs.Don't know how good they are and how long the realationship will last. russ

That was the sub compact utility, diesel models... the few people I have known that got them were very disappointed with the tractor... not with the yanmar diesel engine. KennyV

briggs

Threads
i had a cub with a brigs motor on it but it had the cub sticker on the engine ..I would get the model number off the motor and see who makes the motor ...

cottom

Threads
The 173cc Cub Cadet engine in made in China.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would be very surprised if MTD is actually tooling up or manufacturing "thier own engines". It's more likely that they have contracted with a chinese manufacturer to build engines for them.
Not necessarily a bad thing as most of the "American Made" tractors use imported engines. It's time to understand just how far you have to go to avoid chinese products. It's really an issue when you think about parts and parts networks. The more engines out there implies a bigger demand for parts, a bigger demand means an rising market and hopefully supplies will follow. You don't want to get caught in the void that may arise when Briggs see's the light and works out the cost issue's with the mower manufacturers and your stuck the "bastard model" with the "wang sung" engine. (I just made that name up...wang sung:laughing:).
It might be a great engine...and it might not, why take a chance?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That 173cc Cub Cadet engine is used on a lot of the CC walk behind mowers...
They are most likely turning out a "bagillion" of those engines...
I'm sure it's going to be around for quite some time... The Chinese market is improving faster than any industrial change in modern time...

Those older may remember a time when made in Japan was a very bad thing... almost was assured to be junk... That turned around, and for a long time now "Japanese made" is equated with very high quality...
The same is happening with Chinese manufactured goods only quicker... There is a lot of very high quality Chinese hardware showing up... I would not be afraid of Chinese replacement parts on current manufactured goods.
I do know you can still buy junk made in China... BUT you can also still find junk made from almost anywhere...
:smile:KennyV

briggs

Threads
That 173cc Cub Cadet engine is used on a lot of the CC walk behind mowers...
They are most likely turning out a "bagillion" of those engines...
I'm sure it's going to be around for quite some time... The Chinese market is improving faster than any industrial change in modern time...

Those older may remember a time when made in Japan was a very bad thing... almost was assured to be junk... That turned around, and for a long time now "Japanese made" is equated with very high quality...
The same is happening with Chinese manufactured goods only quicker... There is a lot of very high quality Chinese hardware showing up... I would not be afraid of Chinese replacement parts on current manufactured goods.
I do know you can still buy junk made in China... BUT you can also still find junk made from almost anywhere...
:smile:KennyV

yes i do agree with you on this ...very well said ....I like Honda and Kawasaki myself last for a long time if taken care of properly

briggs

Threads
I would be very surprised if MTD is actually tooling up or manufacturing "thier own engines". It's more likely that they have contracted with a chinese manufacturer to build engines for them.
Not necessarily a bad thing as most of the "American Made" tractors use imported engines. It's time to understand just how far you have to go to avoid chinese products. It's really an issue when you think about parts and parts networks. The more engines out there implies a bigger demand for parts, a bigger demand means an rising market and hopefully supplies will follow. You don't want to get caught in the void that may arise when Briggs see's the light and works out the cost issue's with the mower manufacturers and your stuck the "bastard model" with the "wang sung" engine. (I just made that name up...wang sung:laughing:).
It might be a great engine...and it might not, why take a chance?

.....LOL at the wang -sung

Attachments

• IMG_20160813_160717.jpg
    IMG_20160813_160717.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20160814_143158.jpg
    IMG_20160814_143158.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 8