lawn mower to lawn tractor conversion

Onobeano

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD L130 and it runs like a top; the mower deck, however, has been a pain in the weeds for 4+ years. What needs to be done to protect the tractor when I remove the mower deck. You might already have guessed that I'm about as mechanical as Gumby:laughing:, so any help will be most appreciated. Thanks!

mullins87

Threads
Not sure what you want to do if you are needing to "protect" the tractor when the deck is removed. What are you wanting to do with that tractor?

Onobeano

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I want to use the tractor to pull smaller implements and a small trailer around the property, but I don't want to leave some exposed internal parts that would mess up the "guts" of the tractor as they picked up grass and other debris from below.
Unfortunately I'm in a wheelchair and so cannot get down and look for myself to see what integral parts would be exposed when the mower deck was removed. So, my questions are: 1- are there any such parts/connections/ fittings/?? that would be exposed and vulnerable, and 2- if so, how would I go about protecting those parts, etc. so the tractor doesn't get destroyed. Thanks for any insights you can offer.
Russ

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
you should be able to take the deck off without any issues...unless your 4 wheeling...dont worry about it:smile:

Onobeano

Forum Newbie
Threads
THANKS!:thumbsup: that takes a load off (my mind:smile:)

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
The deck should come off in less than a minute . It is suspended with pull out pins. Take a picture before you take it down . That way you can see how it goes back on. The belt will come right off the engine pulley .
Some people store them on rolling furniture dollies or bungie cords on a hand cart .
Nothing will get damaged under the belly of the machine unless your going rock climbing with Jeeps.

mullins87

Threads
I have an older Snapper garden tractor that I use around the house like you mentioned. I have never had any problem with anything being damaged. Unless you're out driving over stumps or take it into a harvested corn field, you shouldn't have any problems either.

benski

Threads
Be conservative with what you expect your mower to do. It isn't built as heavily as one might hope.:wink:

crazyoldtractor

Threads
I have done the same thing as you for a while. I have one tractor for pulling and towing and another for just having fun in the mud. Just take the deck off, nothing will be exposed or damaged. Just don't run the tractor in more than like 8in of water, or at least so that the belt doesn't go underwater for too long because it will get worn out real quick and start to slip.

-brandon