Gator Blades

Giles

Threads
I have a Gravely G16 mower with bagger system.
First I would like to make it clear that this is not a slam against Gator Blades--just my experience.
I have been bagging with the factory original style blades. I bought a set of Gator Blades and gave them a try.
It appeared that the New Gator Blades were not giving better performance, so I did a simple test.
I selected a section in my yard and made one pass about 100' in length and dumped the clippings on a large piece of cardboard.
I then removed the GB and installed the original blades.
There was NO DIFFERENCE in the size of the clippings (leaves).
Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Threads
Gator and mulching blades do not cut the grass any shorter in length unless the chute is covered over making the grass stay in and get cut more than one time..

tankdriver

Threads
I use Gators, but they are not good for bagging. I have a set of High Lift blades for that. High lift have a large area turned up on the back side of the blades. This makes them into a set of fan blades that moves a lot of air, and grass. The Gator blade have a smaller back peice with V's cut in to it to move less air and redirect grass to mulch it finer. My Gatrors have a blut edge to be stronger, and take more abuse. My High Lift Blades are actually hollow ground like a old razor. Very share, but will dull and notch a lot quicker than a Gator.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Gravely G16 mower with bagger system.
First I would like to make it clear that this is not a slam against Gator Blades--just my experience.
I have been bagging with the factory original style blades. I bought a set of Gator Blades and gave them a try.
It appeared that the New Gator Blades were not giving better performance, so I did a simple test.
I selected a section in my yard and made one pass about 100' in length and dumped the clippings on a large piece of cardboard.
I then removed the GB and installed the original blades.
There was NO DIFFERENCE in the size of the clippings (leaves).
Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Read my post about being very disappointed with Gator Blades...I had hoped they would reduce windrowing with my tall grass but they make zero difference. Like you, I expected better results, but I would have to add an expensive mulch kit to my deck and mow much more often than I do to get the benefit of the GBs.....:thumbdown:

Jetblast

Threads
Google for reviews on these and you'll see that satisfaction with Gator Blades is all over the place. They don't seem to work well with every deck, at every height, and on every lawn, so apparently there's some luck involved.

They're made to be used when discharging, not with a mulch plug or while bagging, and if they're on a deck that has the right aerodynamic flow (whatever that may be) they work great.

My clippings are much smaller with Gators than they were with stock blades. I no longer see clippings sitting on the lawn at all, unless the grass is ridiculously tall in areas, and they chop my oak leaves well without having to make multiple passes.

This video shows the design theory, and some shots of what the discharge looks like if your mower plays well with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSizWplbgRw

Last edited:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Google for reviews on these and you'll see that satisfaction with Gator Blades is all over the place. They don't seem to work well with every deck, at every height, and on every lawn, so apparently there's some luck involved.

They're made to be used when discharging, not with a mulch plug or while bagging, and if they're on a deck that has the right aerodynamic flow (whatever that may be) they work great.

My clippings are much smaller with Gators than they were with stock blades. I no longer see clippings sitting on the lawn at all, unless the grass is ridiculously tall in areas, and they chop my oak leaves well without having to make multiple passes.

This video shows the design theory, and some shots of what the discharge looks like if your mower plays well with them.
Gator Mulcher Blades from Baileysonline.com - YouTube

Excellent post, and thanks for the link.....:thumbsup: