Cracked block on my Husqi (Kohler courage 20 HP)

Second Gen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Had this mower for about 28 months (125 hrs) and started running poorly. Pulled the engine cover and found four bolts loose (One hitting the flywheel too). Tightened them down and it started running well, but then started smoking pretty bad. Pulled the cover again and noticed the engine block was cracked. Searched the net and see many posts about similar issues, but not what everyone was doing to fix (New motor, different model motor, welding the existing one, etc). Looking for anything that might help me to make the right decision.

Motor
Kohler SV600S-002

Thanks in advance
Dave

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get to a good kohler repair shop now. I know you are outside your warranty period but kohler did have problems with the cover bolts coming loose and causing the block to crack. The dealer can contact his dealer rep and request a policy adjustment. If approved kohler will pay for the parts and you just pay the labor to repair. May not be approved but is worth a shot. I have got policy adjustments approved in the past for various reasons.

Second Gen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate the feedback and will reach out to Huskqvana to see if they will do anything about it.. :thumbsup:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I'd get the block welded.

benski

Threads
I don't think you'll get good results having the block welded.

Duffer72

Threads
Go to a Kohler dealer as told previously, don't bother with Husq they didn't make the engine, that is why you have different warranties.

Huge

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a craftsman zero turn for cheap with the same engine knowing the block was cracked hoping i could weld it myself as i am a welder. I asked the local repair guy who does a lot of small engine stuff about this engine . He told me that this engine was assembled overseas in a place where the air pressure was not monitored and the bolts did not get torqued properly resulting in them working loose and then the block would crack. I am not sure if Kohler is admitting to this disaster. I took my engine out and am now getting ready to disassemble it for welding. The crack is about 3 inchs long but should be an easy fix . I was considering using j/b weld but i don't want to chance it and have to take it apart again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler did admit to it because they issued a service bulletin to the dealers a few years back, and discussed it in one of my update dealer meetings.

Second Gen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had parked the Husqi last year and was using my old standby (Craftsman w/a 14 HP Kohler Command) as I was totaly frustrated with the lack of ownership from both Husqvarna and Kohler.. so I finally removed everything and the block is on the bench waiting to be TIG welded. Mine is like the gent above with a crack about 3 inches long and not close enough it should impact the head. Looking for a maintenance manual to reassemble the components (Torgue numbers as well as gaskets). Let me know if this is something I need to buy or just download from a specific location..

Many thanks
Dave