Looking at new riding mowers and not please with the junk out their

mrlarry

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Looking at new riding mowers and not please with the junk out their
My craftsman is done and its time to look for a new mower. I need at least a 42" . i looked at homedepo, lowes, sears, tractor supply, walmart etc.

All feel like a toy next to my 42" 11 year old craftsman- the controls just fell like junk and allmost all looked like the same company made them. I looked at a basic 42" 5sp craftsman for $929 till i found out u need to completely stop to shift gears on the new ones. The only one that seemed decent was lowes 46" husquvarna for 1599 .
I have an acre-pretty smooth but the issue is its very sandy & i eat blades up wihin a few cuts .- its not real grass like i am used to back north so i cant really see investing in a decent mower to cut 60% weeds. I even decided to look for a used mower but in this area most need decks after a few years due to all the sand and people to lazy to put them out of the weather. Is the husq any good for the long hall? or i found a nice 54" craftsman with 49 hrs 24hp twin , 3 bin bagger- its the gold color that sears had a few years back, original owner for 1100- what do u guys think?

i know this craftsman is total overkill for my size lot but hey the bigger it is the faster i can get out of the heat in my opinion. ,

i have about 1500 to spend - i have no issues doing plugs, oil belts, just cant handle the big eng repairs.

this is actually the craftsman used one i was thinking about if u think its good and price is decent- may be able to wiggle the price on it a little

3na3of3lb5W05U35S5b96c6d4233683ad119d.jpg

benski

Threads
Welcome to the madness!:biggrin: I'll take a stab and say that gold edition Craftsman will probably give you as good a service as any of the box store units in the same general price range, especially since it sounds like it is going to die a grisly death in the Florida environment anyway:frown:. My suggestions are: change your air filter frequently, and use a premium synthetic oil.(My personal favorite is Amsoil, product code ASE). Good luck!:thumbsup:

Outdooz

Threads
I have been doing a lot of research for a new mower too. Well actaully used. I havnt found any bad reviews about the husqvarnas out their. I have heard they are built very well and will last. However if you are going to buy new, I would recomend not to buy it at Lowes, Homedepot, walmart, etc. i would go to a dealer. But thats my 2 cents! Good luck

GoToGuy

Threads
ANY MOWER YOU BUY FROM A MASS MERCHANT IS MADE FOR A PRICE POINT AND NOT FOR QUALITY.
THE CRAFTSMANS ARE MADE BY HUSQVARNA OUTDOOR PRODUCTS. ALSO POULAN PRO AND THE ARIENS THAT HOME DEPOT CARRIES.
MTD MAKES CUB CADET,TROY-BILT,WHITE,BOLENS,YARD MACHINE,YARD MAN,HUSKEE AND THE TORO RIDER. ETC..ETC..
SO...GET A COMMERCIAL MOWER FROM AN INDEPENDANT DEALER OR JUST CHOOSE A COLOR!

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Actually buying a new tractor youll want to use what the manufacturer reccomends while under warranty , or can be voided- do what service they suggest ( take it in ) when they suggest it.

Most new motors today are weak, underpowered and full of plastic , personally id go after an older machine .

New machines arent problem free , so expect some warranty fixes , older machines already have the bugs worked out.

Do some research , check into warranties, id go for a motor with oil pressure/oil filter , and stay away from box stores.

judgecrater

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually buying a new tractor youll want to use what the manufacturer reccomends while under warranty , or can be voided- do what service they suggest ( take it in ) when they suggest it.

Most new motors today are weak, underpowered and full of plastic , personally id go after an older machine .

New machines arent problem free , so expect some warranty fixes , older machines already have the bugs worked out.

Do some research , check into warranties, id go for a motor with oil pressure/oil filter , and stay away from box stores.

I am finding the box stores are handling the quality mowers too. I bought my Hustler at Lowes and they gave me my veterans 10% discount. I am very pleased.

1striper1

Threads
With a $1500 budget I would try to find a good used unit that has hydro's where the fluid can be changed. Most hydro's in that price point and higher have sealed units. Once they go out you might as well throw the tractor away.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
With a $1500 budget I would try to find a good used unit that has hydro's where the fluid can be changed. Most hydro's in that price point and higher have sealed units. Once they go out you might as well throw the tractor away.

Man 1strper1, y'all are knocking the dust off of some mighty old threads here. Trying to revive them are we?:smile:

1striper1

Threads
Man 1strper1, y'all are knocking the dust off of some mighty old threads here. Trying to revive them are we?:smile:

I jus need to pay more attention to what the heck judgecrater is posting! I almost replied to one that he revived from 2011! :ashamed:

You can rest easy now Mr. Post Policeman! :drink:

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I jus need to pay more attention to what the heck judgecrater is posting! I almost replied to one that he revived from 2011! :ashamed:

You can rest easy now Mr. Post Policeman! :drink:

Lol, no biggie. I was just making sure everyone knew these were old threads. Btw this thread is from 2011.:laughing: