2000 MTD Yard Machine 608 won't move

duscarter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought this used MTD 608 for my Sister. So far I have changed the drive belt and the PTO belt. Looks like I need to adjust the gas pedal and the brake before I put the deck back on. My problem is it won't move when you put it in gear. It moves easily in Neutral, so I don't think the break is sticking.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Will the wheels drive if you jack the back end off the ground?

duscarter

Forum Newbie
Threads
No they will not, unless in N then they spin freely.

I should add, I changed the lower drive belt. Left the upper drive belt because it looks good.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
With the back wheels off the ground it you turn one wheel clockwise does the other wheel turn anticlockwise.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Sorry I know its one step at a time.
The point that it will not drive the back wheels with the back end off the ground might not be a good sign.
The Clockwise Anticlockwise thing is what you would expect to see.
The next thing to try would be to drop the drive belt off of the gear box pulley put it in gear with the wheels sat on the ground and try turning the pulley on top of the transaxle by hand and see if the machine moves.
If it moves it痴 a good sign and you should look at the drive belt and if it does not then it would point to a fault with the transaxle.
Let us know how you get on.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Just a further thought
If you remove the left rear wheel and follow the shifter down, have a look out at the base of shaft where it connected to the shaft from the transaxle (near No. 73). Also, check the spring in bracket No. 48 as they pop out and then wouldn't stay in gear.

Attachments

• mtd_shifter.jpg
    mtd_shifter.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 34

duscarter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good news, took the belt off and turned the pulley by hand and it moved in Forward and reverse.

The belt looks good. It is the one I did not replace.

The parts in your diagram look good too.

Question: With the engine running, should the lower drive belt be turning in order to turn the upper drive belt?

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Go back and have a look at the drive belt you changed is it on OK?
The parts diagram might help with the fitting around the pulleys it sounds as if there is not enough tension on the belt.