craftsman snow blowers electric start wont work

Paul C

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsmans electric start snow blower and the electric start wont work. It just whines. The snow blower will work with the pull cord.. Any suggestions on what is wrong with the electric start and how to repair it?? I had a caretaker use it and I think he broke it... Any help would be appreciated thanks Paul:smile:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
If it is the same as an automobile engine, it will have a Starter Motor that will engage the Pinion Gear into the flywheel, and thus, crank the engine over, allowing it to start.

The cause of the whine will be that the Pinion Gear isn't gripping the flywheel.

Be that either because the Pinion Gear has worn down, or that the Bendix Drive isn't engaging it due to damage or lack of battery power.

Paul C

Forum Newbie
Threads
so how do I check the pinion gear in the flywheel to see if that is the problem. can you suggest a site that will give me instuctions on how to do this? and also the bendix drive? Is there such a site? thanks Janet :smile:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
so how do I check the pinion gear in the flywheel to see if that is the problem. can you suggest a site that will give me instuctions on how to do this? and also the bendix drive? Is there such a site? thanks Janet :smile:
I'm not sure of a site that would show you. If I had a snow blower with an electric start, I'd take some pictures on how to do it, but I don't, sorry...

If I were you I'd either try charging the battery, or replace it.

HCBPH

Threads
It would help if you at least gave a model on the blower, better yet, the make and model of engine on it. If it's a Tecumseh 4 cycle, it depends on whether it's above 5 hp or not due to 2 different designs for 4 cycle units, 2 cycle are another bunch of models. Because of all the possible combinations, best suggestion is check the starter ring for damage. take the starter off and energize it and see if the pinion moves, assuming it's not damaged. At the same time, check the pinion for damage and if it moves when energized.

Too little info for any more info or ideas. Good luck

deerediesel755

Forum Newbie
Threads
More than likly its the starter if it just whines if It makes like a grinding noise its normally the gear try tapping the starter as you try to crank it with a hammer lightly if it engages and start then its the Bendix if it doesnt remove the starter you will be able to tell if either the gear or fly wheel either way needs a new starter unless fly wheel is junk

Duffer72

Threads
if it is a 120 Volt starter, remove it from the engine and free up the gear on the shaft and lube it up with some never sieze (should be able to get very small pkg at auto parts store), It is just hung up from sitting happens all the time