Kawasaki FB460V

jakesmurray

Threads
I just saw on a youtube video that on an engine just like mine, the fuel line went straight to the carb. Can you completely bypass the little fuel pump? The engine runs great without it, I am just making sure it wont hurt anything. The minute I hook it up through the fuel pump, it doesn't get any gas to the carb. By the way, I completely took off and cleaned the pump- all the diaphrams were good. Thanks!

dennisln99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can this be true. I have a John Deere 165 lawn tractor with a FB460v BS00 Kawasaki engine. I pulled the gas line off the carb and stuck it in a plastic bottle. I saw a video in which this was done and as it was cranked, gas was pumped into the bottle verifying the fuel pump was good. Since my engine runs when I spray starter fluid into the carb, I bought a new fuel pump. It does not put out any fuel either. I want to know if I should try to look inside and see what is supposed to activate the pump. One recommendation was to put an electric pump Mr. Gasket - Fuel Pump #125. But my question is: I bought the new fuel pump, why doesn't it work?

Also, I have not tried the direct route this gentleman spoke of, it does not seem like a good idea though.

Thanks,
Dennis

jakesmurray

Threads
Welcome to the forum and thanks for bumping this post... :biggrin:

Does your pump have a suction line that runs into the engine block? If so, I would check it for cracks or holes causing a loss of suction.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can this be true. I have a John Deere 165 lawn tractor with a FB460v BS00 Kawasaki engine. I pulled the gas line off the carb and stuck it in a plastic bottle. I saw a video in which this was done and as it was cranked, gas was pumped into the bottle verifying the fuel pump was good. Since my engine runs when I spray starter fluid into the carb, I bought a new fuel pump. It does not put out any fuel either. I want to know if I should try to look inside and see what is supposed to activate the pump. One recommendation was to put an electric pump Mr. Gasket - Fuel Pump #125. But my question is: I bought the new fuel pump, why doesn't it work?

Also, I have not tried the direct route this gentleman spoke of, it does not seem like a good idea though.

Thanks,
Dennis

There is a hose that connects the pump to the crank case,
It uses flucuating cracase pressure to alternatively blow then suck as the piston goes up & down to move the diaphragm and a one way valve makes the fuel go in one direction.
No 1 reason why they don't work = hooked up wrong
No 2 reason why they don't work = pulse line broken, loose or perforated.
No 3 reason why they don't work = air filter / outlet blocked
There are two connections on the side and one on the top.
The side ones are in & out the top one is the pulse line connection.
You can stick one end in yer gob then blow & suck.
It should pump fuel , a bit slow unless you can do it 10 time / second.
If you get a mouth full of fuel either you are sucking on te wrong line or the diaphram has a hole in it ( 4th most common )

dennisln99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all,
I changed all the gas lines and clamps (used tighten down hose clamps) and it runs great. It idles low and stays running and runs fast when you giver the gas. One question, the hose that runs to the engine had a braided outer skin (I assume it has to do with heat), I replaced it with standard gas line because I could not find the other type; any thoughts?
Thanks again,
Dennis

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
So gravity flow is not enough on an undulating line, depending upon tank position and contents? Plus up hill seems like starvation time once the float bowl is depleted?

Col37814

Forum Newbie
Threads
So where is the fuel pump located, j looked at mine and can't see one

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the fuel tank is under the dash thus above the carb you are lucky to have gravity pumping your fuel for free.
If the tank is under the seat , so lower than the carb you need a fuel pump.
Because it is a fuel pump and fuel runs through a fuel line you just have to follow the fuel line.

AFAIK Kawasaki only use impulse pumps but other mowers can have mechanical or electric pumps but the latter are usually confined to fuel injected mowers.

So are you having a problem ?
If so start a nice new thread, include the engine numbers ( off the tag ) & the mower name & numbers ( off its tag )
You could also put it in a sub section of the brand of mower or the brand of engine.
Try to make the title descriptive like mower dies in long grass or engine turns but wont start etc etc.