New guy startin the biz

Justcutabigone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lil bit about me I was on the oil rig that blew up in the gulf long story short I jumped , was hurt, but lived and now seeking a new profession . I have a bad boy 60 in. Cut and enjoy mowing so I'm thinkin hard about startin a business. Any suggestions?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
:welcome:

If you enjoy mowing lawns, then I'm sure lawn mowing would be a good profession for you! :smile:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Commercial & Residential Lawn Mowing Forum. :smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lil bit about me I was on the oil rig that blew up in the gulf long story short I jumped , was hurt, but lived and now seeking a new profession . I have a bad boy 60 in. Cut and enjoy mowing so I'm thinkin hard about startin a business. Any suggestions?

You're asking for suggestions in starting a business, in order to answer your question I'd need to know a couple of things. Like how many accounts are you going to have? Are you going to be doing Commercial Accounts or Residential Accounts.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mostly residential and as many as I can handle

The thing is or that you have to realize is that breaking into the business is going to cost you some money to do it right. The first thing I would recommend is your License. Secondly if your doing Residential the thing I would tell you is time is money and the next would be you can't afford down time.

Your bad boy 60" is fine for the larger jobs or yards but you need more than that, you may want to look at the addition of a 36" or 44" ZTR or WB for getting through gates and such, Plus a good 22" self propelled.

Hand held equipment would be the next investment, Trimmers, edgers, blowers etc. make sure you have enough backup equipment on hand to keep working if a something goes down.

Next open a business account at your local bank of your choice so you have someplace to deposit (checks) your income and you'll get a debit card so you can use the account for purchases.

Now everything above is basically true, you'll find you will need most everything I've mentioned and more but it can be acquired over a period of time unless of course you have a fist full of money.

Now the Government :eek: Make sure you have a good book keeper to keep up with your Truck mileage, gas and records of all your purchases such as trimmer line, oil, filters and any number of other things you buy for the business so you can claim all at Tax Time, and I believe (but don't quote me on this) they give new businesses a three year period to show a profit and if you don't show a profit, there's always there audit.:thumbsup:

Now about this time I can imagine your thinking this guy is nuts but these are just some of the things you have to look forward to too be in a business that everyone thinks is a cake walk.

Now the 64 dollar question, Still want to go into the Lawn Business? :laughing:

The hard part comes next it's called Customer Relations :rolleyes:

Craftsman13

Threads
If you don't have one already you'll also need a truck and a trailer.:smile: