LEAKING GAS Tank

Tall_Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Murray 6.25hp and 22" swath. I have noticed that when I fill the gas tank to more than 1/2 full, it leaks. I have done a little digging and it seems that there is a common problem with these Briggs motors - splitting and causing leaks. To buy a new gas tank, I'd have to mortgage the house so I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could buy a used gas tank?? I'm in Toronto, Canada. Thanks...

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Could you not use some silicone sealant ?

Tall_Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Jmurray - to be honest I haven't looked for any type of sealants as I'm not sure how they will react with the gas especially over time. Regardless, I will look for something locally and see what their recommendations are.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Thanks Jmurray - to be honest I haven't looked for any type of sealants as I'm not sure how they will react with the gas especially over time. Regardless, I will look for something locally and see what their recommendations are.
I'm sure sealant would work. Fuel isn't strong enough to eat through a good quality sealant.

LT1045wrh

Threads
I have a pressure washer with gas tank leak problems and I have tried a sealant. It worked pretty well, but I guess I didn't get all of the crack sealed, cause it still leaks a little.
Good luck,
Wendy:rolleyes:

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
I got a parts 2003 MTD tractor off my bro in law for $10 - he mustve hit the gas tank with a grinder and cut a gouge in it, because i filled it most of the way up,with gas , and by the next day it was empty- i noticed some RTV sealant on the tank covering the gouge and it was barely hanging on. I wouldnt suggest RTV.

Id search for some sort of gas tank repair kit, or might actually be easier to just get another tank for it- a cheeper alternative would be searching Craigslist for a similar mower just to get the tank or retro fit a tank from another mower.

Duffer72

Threads
did you buy the unit new? have you contacted a briggs dealer,usually they will take of it since it is a fire and safety hazard, if dealer won't take of you contact briggs direct and scream a little and they should take care of it.

Threads
I'm sure sealant would work. Fuel isn't strong enough to eat through a good quality sealant.

Yep it will i tried to repair one, and the gas ate right through the sealant.. Didnt take it long either..

Torontonian

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Murray tank that had a leak as well. I used a product called jb weld. Found it at the local auto parts store. It's like an epoxy. Mix two different tubes together and apply. Let it dry for an hour or two. It's never leaked since and that was two years ago. Hope this helps.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have used JB weld with good luck. Also a sealant called Seals-all which comes in a yellow tube I have had used for years with very good luck. The biggest thing is to make your repair spot very clean. They also make gas tank repair kits sold at most auto parts stores. Don't use a silicone sealant because the gas will react with it and soften it and it will just make a big mess. You can also look for a lawn mower salvage yard and buy a used tank. What ever way you repair it just remember that small mower engines vibrate a lot and can crack your repair job with time.