JD 316 with Kohler motor worth $800?

TerryD

Threads
I found this in the paper. Getting ready to go check it out and do a compression test. Does this price seem okay? High? Low? It has a 48" deck. I think '78 was the only year for the Kohler, could be wrong though.

Thanks,

TerryD

noma

Threads
Hay terryd

I think it would depend on what condition it is in, to wonder about that price? Look at the engine and see if it has a engine hour meter on it and see what it said? That sound a little high for the year this mower is, unless it.s in prefect shape.:biggrin:

TerryD

Threads
High eh? I'm told it doesn't have an hour meter, but I'll find out shortly. Thanks for your input. What would be a reasonable price for one in reasonable condition?

TerryD

Threads
No hour meter. 130 psi compression, held for 10 minutes until I bleed it off. Lots of dust. I offered $650 and he accepted.

Good deal, or no?!?!?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
GREAT deal...
I'm not that up on old JD garden tractors... but the old Cub Cadets from the 70's (in reasonable shape) will sell for over $1000.... :smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
There's a bunch of folks (me included) that love the build quality of some of the stuff out of the 60's and 70's:thumbsup:. The biggest challenge sometimes is parts, but there are people out there that can scratch that itch too. $$:eek:

TerryD

Threads
Thanks guys. I bought an LT 155 a week ago. Took it back a couple days ago with issues. Neither the dealer or I were able to come to an agreement on what it would take to make it right. So he is keeping it.

Last night I found the 316 and it looks pretty dusty with a light misting of oily engine crude to protect it from the elements. It runs okay, but has the shakes at low idle, also running rich...i think.

This thing reminds me of the Sears Custom 10 my dad bought in the early seventies. All steel, nice straight lines, well you get the idea. Anyway, it will be MY first lawn tractor so looking forward to getting some seat time.:smile:

benski

Threads
Now that you've had this thing a month, how is it treating you?

benski

Threads
You're absolutely right. It hasn't been a month! For some reason I thought I was in October:confused2::eek::biggrin:.