Mower deck Mower not cutting right?

matthewf13

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Craftsman tractor is cutting perfect on both sides - but in the middle there is maybe 5 inches not being cut very well (it is being cut, but not as short as the rest.)

The measurements of my deck are:

42 inches wide

the back is 3 1/4 up off the ground and the front is 2 inches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

P.S. the end of the shaft assembly (where the blade attaches) is eaten up. could this be causing this problem OR be making noise? I am waiting on the replacement to arrive.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Hmm... As long as you are moving forward when mowing it should all get cut, as the bit of the blade that is cutting with get to every bit in the end.

If you mean when you mow one bit of it stationary then turn if off and there is a bit in the middle not cut, that is probably because the middle of the blades are getting blunt and need sharpening, or ideally, replacing.

Threads
With blades pointing front to back ,the back edge should be 3 1/4 " off the ground,the front should be 3 ' off the ground with the deck in the lowest setting. If the star is worn off on the shaft it will let the blade lean to one side or the other thus making it not cut level. make sure your blades are not rounded on the edges ,if they are replace them...I know craftsman mowers just about as well as sears as i have sold them along with poulan which is the same mower..If i can help call me 423-586-6071..Thanks Bill

Threads
My Craftsman tractor is cutting perfect on both sides - but in the middle there is maybe 5 inches not being cut very well (it is being cut, but not as short as the rest.)

The measurements of my deck are:

42 inches wide

the back is 3 1/4 up off the ground and the front is 2 inches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

P.S. the end of the shaft assembly (where the blade attaches) is eaten up. could this be causing this problem OR be making noise? I am waiting on the replacement to arrive.

The manual says the front must be set at 1/8th to 1/2" lower than the rear of the deck.. The end of the shaft being chewed up (star pattern) is letting the spindle turn but the blade is not turning with it like it should (RPM).. It can also let the blade bolt back out causing the blade to come off..

matthewf13

Forum Newbie
Threads
With blades pointing front to back ,the back edge should be 3 1/4 " off the ground,the front should be 3 ' off the ground with the deck in the lowest setting. If the star is worn off on the shaft it will let the blade lean to one side or the other thus making it not cut level. make sure your blades are not rounded on the edges ,if they are replace them...I know craftsman mowers just about as well as sears as i have sold them along with poulan which is the same mower..If i can help call me 423-586-6071..Thanks Bill

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the late reply - I have been working.

Thanks Bill. I checked under the deck and the right blade is about 1 inch (WOW) uneven and the left is just a little off. Would you guys suggest ordering a second spindle shaft (the star) for the other side as well since it is a little off?

How do you adjust the height of the deck (besides the control lever)? The only one in the front is a metal rod connecting the deck to the front.