john deere lt155 questions

doncuddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older john deere lt155 with numerous issues--most of which I have created myself over the years- due to my amateur level understanding of small engines and how to repair them. Which has never worked out very well for me. Thus the reason my tractor runs like crap most of the time. It is usually a guessing game for me as to what the particular problem for the day may be and the same goes for my interventions. Without giving the entire history of this mower--because I dont have time right now, the current major problem has to do with gas in the oil--and alot of it. The headgasket was replaced this year. The carbuerator was taken off and cleaned real good. Dry gas in the tank in case of condesation. Bottom line is it was smoking real bad--first on start up but then pretty much all the time. then began running very bad--no power. When I went to check the oil, found it full of gas and runny as water. what could be the problem and how to fix this? please keep in mind that I dont know most of the technical terms for engine parts. also, I checked the specs for this engine--kohler 426cc and it called for 1.9qt of oil. does that sound right or is it too much?

any help will be greatly appreciated since I cant afford to replace at this time and need it to pull my garden cart around the yard-dont use it to mow any longer since the deck rotted off.

doncuddy
doncuddy@centurylink.net

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Sounds like you've worn down your piston rings there!

To fix that you either need an engine rebuild or a new engine.

Low power is also a symptom of worn piston rings, as they cause low compression.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Hi
First things first drain out the old oil.
There are four reasons why you are getting petrol in the oil.

1. The carb float needle is not sealing properly you can adjust the level the float cuts the fuel off by adjusting (gently bending down the float on it mount) so that the carb holds less fuel a few thou is all it needs be careful. It痴 a bit like the toilet cistern overflowing.
2. The needle is warn - change the needle ( the bit that is attached to the float) this would also cause loss of power
3. Fuel is syphoning down out of the tank - put an inline fuel tap in the fuel pipe and turn it off when not using the mower.
4. The inlet valve is warn and not closing properly if you have faults 1,2 or 3 the fuel will drain down the valve stem and end up in the sump. Worn valves will also cause power loss
So as not to waist engine oil do not refill the sump until you have worked through steps 1-3 and checked you have cured the problem. Do one step at a time and leave the machine overnight with fuel in the tank to test.

Remember to re-fill the engine oil before use run the engine (PUT A NOTE ON THE KEY TO REMIND YOURSELF)

Good luck be careful just take one step at a time and you will be able to fix it.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Listen - Alot of fuel in the oil can be stopped by adding a $3.18 fuel shut off valve in line with the motor . If you have run the motor slot with the weak oil the motor can be heat damaged .
Fuel shut offs are a MUST with the crappy new gasoline we have .
I see this all the time in the repair shop .