Adding Throttle...

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
How would I go about doing it on a 100CC push mower engine ?

I can buy a throttle kit (cable and lever) for under $20 from eBay, but how hard it is to fit to a fixed throttle engine ?

It is just the matter of taking off a pin or something that holds the throttle wide open and fitting the cable end ?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How would I go about doing it on a 100CC push mower engine ?

I can buy a throttle kit (cable and lever) for under $20 from eBay, but how hard it is to fit to a fixed throttle engine ?

It is just the matter of taking off a pin or something that holds the throttle wide open and fitting the cable end ?

If only it were that simple...my second push mower was a 1982 Craftsman, and it was the first I ever owned with no real throttle adjustment, only Hi-Low-Off on the carb itself. Although I have never really looked at the interior of a modern mower carb, I doubt there are any methods to adjust the venturi even if you tried to fit a throttle cable. They seem to be mostly designed to run at two settings, High and Off. That type of design makes it much easier for the company who sells the engine to:

A. Meet emissions regulations
B. Prevent owners from tampering with the carb
C. Build them cheap

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
A lot of the newer emissions engines have carbs with a main jet only and no idle circuit in the carb. Since there is no way for the engine to get fuel at low rpm's it may stall or surge if you try to reduce the throttle.

mullins87

Threads
I have a little Huskee pusher that has the fixed throttle. I don't like running an engine a full throttle when I shut it off, so I've tried to see if there is some way to make it idle. I've done everything I could think of to the linkage, but the best I could get was maybe a 500 rpm difference. I just put everything back the way it was and will use it like this until it blows up.

Black Bart

Threads
Most people don't need a throttle all my neighbors start their riding mowers and as soon as it starts they throw it wide open and engage the blades and start mowing.
Just like some new cars no longer have a oil pressure gauge cause most people won't ever look at it if it has one.
This is what I call dumbing down of America.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most drivers today can barely tell what the gas gage is and what it displays. The morons who design dashboards think it more important to have a big bright electronic navigation screen and 50 gazillion watt speaker systems and all sorts of gewgaws and gimcracks that are redundant to operation of a vehicle. Mirrors dim themselves, heating systems regulate themselves, most drivers can barely tell what button controls what function without reading a 500 page owners manual. Had an '85 Ford where heat/ac controls were two slide levers and a fan switch. Then my next car, '92 Olds 98, had 20 tiny buttons and an electronic display panel for the same function controlled by 3 items on the Ford. Did the system on the Olds work better, no. And to change settings required you to look away from the road and try to figure out what button did what. Stupid designers dont know what a decent dashboard should look like so no wonder they put on idiot lights and that is why drivers get so used to not being able to read a gage.

Black Bart

Threads
Most drivers today can barely tell what the gas gage is and what it displays. The morons who design dashboards think it more important to have a big bright electronic navigation screen and 50 gazillion watt speaker systems and all sorts of gewgaws and gimcracks that are redundant to operation of a vehicle. Mirrors dim themselves, heating systems regulate themselves, most drivers can barely tell what button controls what function without reading a 500 page owners manual. Had an '85 Ford where heat/ac controls were two slide levers and a fan switch. Then my next car, '92 Olds 98, had 20 tiny buttons and an electronic display panel for the same function controlled by 3 items on the Ford. Did the system on the Olds work better, no. And to change settings required you to look away from the road and try to figure out what button did what. Stupid designers dont know what a decent dashboard should look like so no wonder they put on idiot lights and that is why drivers get so used to not being able to read a gage.

JD a lot of people can not even read a road map and they need a GPS to tell them where to turn.
The younger generation learned how to run a computer so the gadgets are normal to them but take away their calculator and they are screwed.

I saw just a few weeks ago that they were going to stop teaching writing because you can use a computer and type you message.

I guess everyone will need to carry a laptop with a printer.:laughing:

Around here the teens buy an old used Honda and spend MORE on stereo system than what the car is worth so they can drive around disturbing the piece with all the booming. :confused2: