Tecumseh motor for Toro push mower dies soon after starting.

giantsquid

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tecumseh motor for Toro push mower dies soon after starting.
So about a week ago I tried to fix my mower which hadn't run for a couple months. Every time I would pull on the cord to start it, it would just sputter and die. Then eventually after a few days of trying to get it to start, it finally did, but would only run for a few minutes before dying again.

Then about a week ago after some internet searching I found a video on youtube where a guy was showing you how to clean a carburetor on the exact mower and engine I have. Carburetor Cleaning & TUNE-UP of Toro 6.5HP Lawnmower with Tecumseh Engine - YouTube. Despite never having working on any engine of any kind before I was able to do everything in this video with no problems.

The mower now has fresh gas, new spark plug, cleaned the carburetor (but it wasn't as clean as in the video even after I wiped it down), and a new air filter. After doing all that I tried to start it, but this time it would just sputter like it use to. Then finally for whatever reason I got it to start today. However it was running faster than normal and it still only stayed on for a few seconds before dying, in which it won't turn after that.

Any ideas? Could I need a whole new carb or just a new o-ring and bowl?

I'm not sure if I got the right engine model number but the only thing I could find for a model# was this: LV195EA

jteuban

Threads
You have carb problems. Prob water in the bowl or a dirty needle and seat. Is there an adjustment on it main jet clean?

jteuban

Threads
Did you shake the float to see if you have water in it. With tec carb problem are endless

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The jet in the bowl nut is probably partially plugged.

giantsquid

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I took the bowl off the carb I didn't see any water. The whole insides there did look a bit greasy from what I assume is gasoline but it wasn't anything drastic. The needle also looked fine to me, not sure what a seat is though. Float looked fairly clean as well.

I didn't know what would be considered clean or dirty when it comes to carbs. I don't know if they're like NASA equipment where a single grain of sand can break it or if a little bit of dirt and grease won't hurt. The dirtiest part of the whole carb was the jet bolt thing that attached to the bowl. I tried cleaning that the best I could, but it seemed to have some corrosion on it.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
greasy doesnt sound good!...the seat is the place where the needle seals out the gasoline

giantsquid

Forum Newbie
Threads
So then do you think going back into the carb and cleaning out the grease and getting it nice and shiny might do the trick? Or will I need more than that?

Also the oil needs to be changed, could that be another reason it won't stay on or start?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
like ILENGINE says....make sure that jet/bolt is totally cleared out....the oil has nothing to do with it....something was missed in the clean....get a rebuild kit and go through it all again...this time soak your parts in carb cleaner overnight

giantsquid

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this thread was made long ago, but I finally got a rebuild kit. Apparently Tecumseh went out of business so it took about a week to get a kit.

Sorry for the poor quality but these are the best pictures I could get of what I have here. I'm putting them up so hopefully someone can tell me if they're cleaned well enough or if anything looks to be in bad condition. I'm just trying to avoid putting this thing together and then having to take it apart over and over.

This is the kit I got. I know where everything goes except the small beige rubber "nib" (just below the needle). I don't see anything like that on the carb.
downsized_1030112224b.jpg

This is the inside of the carb after I wiped it off best I could. There was some almost gelatinous gas in there.
downsized_1030112224.jpg

This is the inside of the bowl and float.
downsized_1030112224a.jpg

SIDE NOTE: In order to drain the oil, do I just tip it on its side? Its the only method I've been able to find, but it seems almost too simple.

Last edited:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
none of the picture came thru......