Scrap day woes

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today my county Waste Management Authority is hosting a Clean Community Event, which allows residents to get rid of trash, scrap metal, household chemicals and fluids, junk, E-waste, etc. for free or a token charge.

I took in about 200 alkaline and 20 ni cad batteries and 500 pounds of scrap steel and aluminum, as shown in the attachment. Although I was one of the earliest attendees there, the scrap metal area already had a half-dozen decent looking push mowers collected. I asked if I could have some of them, but was turned down. Makes no sense to me, people who wanted to get rid of them could have simply put them out front with a FREE sign on them.....:confused2::eek:

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 27

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Its called jealousy. Some people throw out something they just don't want anyone else to have it. Worse yet if you sold one and made money on it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just took my yearly scrap metal pile in yesterday to the recycle yard and they gave me 250$. Not too many years ago it was just a place to get rit of it for free. Times are sure changing.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today my county Waste Management Authority is hosting a Clean Community Event, which allows residents to get rid of trash, scrap metal, household chemicals and fluids, junk, E-waste, etc. for free or a token charge.

I took in about 200 alkaline and 20 ni cad batteries and 500 pounds of scrap steel and aluminum, as shown in the attachment. Although I was one of the earliest attendees there, the scrap metal area already had a half-dozen decent looking push mowers collected. I asked if I could have some of them, but was turned down. Makes no sense to me, people who wanted to get rid of them could have simply put them out front with a FREE sign on them.....:confused2::eek:

I like the way the cat seems to be on high alert. :laughing:

It is a shame to just throw away a mower that somebody might be able to fix and use.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the way the cat seems to be on high alert. :laughing:

It is a shame to just throw away a mower that somebody might be able to fix and use.

That furball is Tiggs, he is really on high alert here. Silly feline jumped about 7 feet from a tree to the garage roof then was too chicken to jump back down so I got out the ladder.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 6

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just took my yearly scrap metal pile in yesterday to the recycle yard and they gave me 250$. Not too many years ago it was just a place to get rit of it for free. Times are sure changing.

$250.....!!!!!!! You must have had several tons, current price for steel scrap here is about 2-3 cents a pound. That would have barely paid for my gas to drive the additional 20 miles to the scrapyard and back. At 3 cents a pound I would have made maybe $15 at most. $60 a ton here....

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is a recycle yard, I had a mix. Old batteries, copper, aluminum, tin, steel, old motors, electric wire. This is my collection of old parts etc I take it in once a year. I don't save this junk and no matter what it goes once a year free or money. I have given it free to a scrap man who would just pick it up in pass years. I am not in the scrap metal business but in repairs. This is the second year I have done this and last year is was 80$ so I looked a little harder this year.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Took in tow loads of scrap medal to the medal recycler at $240/ton this week. Got about 3 more loads to go. cast aluminum is .65 a pounds right now. got about 1000 pounds.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is a recycle yard, I had a mix. Old batteries, copper, aluminum, tin, steel, old motors, electric wire. This is my collection of old parts etc I take it in once a year. I don't save this junk and no matter what it goes once a year free or money. I have given it free to a scrap man who would just pick it up in pass years. I am not in the scrap metal business but in repairs. This is the second year I have done this and last year is was 80$ so I looked a little harder this year.

Copper is worth BIG BUCKS as scrap, sheet aluminum very little as it has no weight. I took in about 20 pounds of old aluminum siding today, scrap value was maybe a dollar at most. No copper, batteries, wire, etc.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Took in tow loads of scrap medal to the medal recycler at $240/ton this week. Got about 3 more loads to go. cast aluminum is .65 a pounds right now. got about 1000 pounds.

You are getting $240 a ton for WHAT material?